SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a relatively new Volvo owner (2018 XC90 T6 Inscription w/P*) and new to the forum, so forgive me if I have miscategorized this post but after having a look around I didn't see a more logical location for this or a post already covering it. I am sure that most responses will be guesses and conjecture, but I am hoping for some insight/thoughts about Volvo's application of software updates/new technology...

At Apple's WWDC conference this week, they announced a whole host of updates for Carplay integration in the new iOS 13 that will be released this fall (with developer betas having rolled out this week). Their updates to Carplay specifically include:

- New Carplay Dashboard
- New Calendar App
- Home Screen Redesign
- Apple Music Redesign
- Album Art in "Now Playing"
- Bluetooth Album Art
- Apple Maps Update
- Junction View in Apple Maps
- Smaller Siri Screen
- Adjustable Screen Size (Automaker Option)
- Second Video Stream Support (Automaker Option)
- Irregular Screen Size Support (Automaker Option)
- Hey Sir Support (Automaker Option)
- Do Not Disturb While Driving
- Light Mode
- Settings
- Independent App Views

Most of the options listed are on the Carplay end and will be retroactive/automatically applied for vehicles with Carplay and devices that are running iOS 13, and they're all very exciting enhancements (for me)... BUT, I am the most excited about the possibility of the ones that are listed as being an option for an Automaker to enable/support/develop, and more specifically the Second Video Stream Support! It would be wonderful to be able to see my Carplay Screen on the gauge TFT screen rather than the Volvo map, which is adequate, but feels inadequate at times. What are everyone's thoughts/opinions on the likelihood of Volvo developing these enhancements for current Sensus models? Some Automakers are already working on developments for the Carplay enhancements with the intention of having them live when iOS 13 is publicly released; How far behind the public release do you think Volvo would probably be? Really looking forward to the discussion around this, and hope to not be disappointed, but I also realize that this could be a pipe dream.

Currently own:
2018 XC90 T6 Inscription w/P*
2018 S90 T6 Inscriotion

·
Registered
31 Posts
One can hope Volvo will apt to update Sensus. I would specially be interested in having the second screen support.

What the past history say around Volvo adopting CarPlay new features?

Here are some screen grabs from their docs.

IMG_1640.jpg
IMG_1641.jpg
IMG_1642.jpg
IMG_1643.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Carplay Beta Preview

I am doing the beta testing on iOS 13, to include the updates to Carplay, so I wanted to share some photos of the updated interface on the Sensus display... Obviously, there aren't any of the manufacturer specific updates as Volvo would have to do updates to their software to enable those, but the updates to Carplay on the Sensus have really made it much easier to use, I really like them.

New Dashboard View:
3.jpg

Map View:
1.jpg

Map View w/ Options (They fade after a moment until you touch the screen again):
2.jpg

Application Switcher/View:
4.jpg

New Calendar View:
5.jpg

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Last of the photos from above -

New Reminders View:
8.jpg

New Carplay Settings Menu:
7.jpg

New Music/Now Playing View with Album Artwork:
6.jpg

·
Registered
911 Posts
One can hope Volvo will apt to update Sensus. I would specially be interested in having the second screen support.

What the past history say around Volvo adopting CarPlay new features?

Here are some screen grabs from their docs.

View attachment 52085
View attachment 52087
View attachment 52089
View attachment 52091

It's possible, but all signs point to Volvo adopting Google as the backbone to build off of. So CarPlay features would be limited to whatever the Android system allows.

Look to Polestar for what is probably in the pipeline for future Volvo screen use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcYFNMyJXFo

·
Registered
298 Posts
Does the new update support multi-app? For example, while the map is showing on the Sensus, can you use other apps on the phone without closing the map on Sensus?

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'm no tech expert, so looking for opinions of those in the field--what do you think the level of effort would be to reprogram SENSUS to apply the additional CarPlay capabilities (e.g., drivers display screen support for maps)?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Does the new update support multi-app? For example, while the map is showing on the Sensus, can you use other apps on the phone without closing the map on Sensus?
Yes. I just loaded the beta and wasche king out the new updates. I was able to keep a map up on Sensus while texting on the phone.

Keeping my fingers crossed for portrait mode and second screen support. Not too hopeful based on Volvo’s new Android based systems.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, and the red bubble around the time only appears when you’re using your phone to do something not displaying on the Sensus screen/another app

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's possible, but all signs point to Volvo adopting Google as the backbone to build off of. So CarPlay features would be limited to whatever the Android system allows.

Look to Polestar for what is probably in the pipeline for future Volvo screen use.

While I understand your take on it, and can’t for sure say that you’re incorrect (everything is speculation at this point, from all of us), I don’t think that the google partnership will necessarily stand in the way of Volvo allowing car play to utilize the second screen... Being a realist about support and enhancement (especially if recent software decisions by Volvo are taken into account), if they do allow it, it will probably not be an update that is compatible with the entire SPA line and will be policy limited to the latest models. Important to note, is the policy limited part, there are no system limitations that would necessitate or support not allowing or making updates to vehicles between the 2017/2018 model years...

As far as google driving Volvo’s business to the detriment of apple, to do so would be a grave error on their part... It’s true, that a lot of people don’t care about how their devices work, they are just happy that they do, and market share adoption models/figures between the various UI’s around today are as useful as this data for wireless providers... So if Volvo prioritizes google over apple to the point that apple/CarPlay are severely impacted or not supported/useful then they would be segmenting their market share too severely for a company in today’s economic and social acceptance/conscious era re: business decisions/partnerships... To support the argument of Volvo not going all in with google I would point to the partnership that Volvo made in 2015 with Microsoft to develop autonomous vehicles; they worked on it, they tried it out, and it is now defunct without any mass proliferation of Microsoft’s software present in their vehicles. Volvo isn’t afraid to try new things, and I applaud that, but I don’t see them making the relationship exclusive.

As a matter of opinion, Google becoming Volvo’s infotainment backbone/UI would be a deal breaker for me and Volvo. Google has one of the most atrocious data use and privacy policy history/abuses in the world today. I emphatically will not purchase a device or product that gives them another iota of my personal information/data (be it meta or otherwise). But that’s just my 2 cents

·
Registered
73 Posts
+1 for second screen support

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Additionally, in that video 2:40 in, they clearly state that the vehicle’s UI is NOT android and that the vehicle is running on an OEM platform broadcast from an android phone... that can be duplicated with CarPlay, it’s literally the same feature, but Apple has already finished the second screen support from their end en masse; unlike google who specifically developed this level of integration for this partnership and has not made it part of their core software for mass production

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am sure that without a big push from current owners Volvo won't spend the engineering hours necessary to support the iOS 13 updates. It's entirely possible, but I would suggest hitting them up everywhere you can, especially on social.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts