SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So this weekend something strange happened where any email I sent my wife would strip out all formatting and attachments. It had never happened before. We checked all the obvious settings on my email clients to make sure this was not being done by the client. By Monday I got my IT department involved and by trial-and-error we figured out that it was uniquely happening on emails from me to her. I could email anyone else fine. And anyone else, even using the same email system from our office, could email her fine. Even odder – we have emails sent to our kids gmail accounts auto-forward to us as their parents (they know and accept this and are minors) – if I sent the email to my kids and it forwarded to my wife, it would come through fine with formatting and attachments.

After trying literally every possible thing, the IT department had me delete my contact for my wife, reset Outlook and re-create it then send to her. Problem solved.

So then we got curious why the contact had suddenly gone bad. So we went back and traced exactly when the problem started happening. My wife and I email a lot so it’s pretty easy to pinpoint. I emailed her while waiting for delivery of my car post the November update just fine. Then I emailed her about 5 minutes after getting home from the dealer with the car and the problem was there. So unequivocally, the problem happened right as I was testing out the car’s new software. And if anyone followed my original post on CarPlay, you’ll recall one of my cons was that I had tested trying to text my wife and CarPlay had claimed that it could find her contact but there was no email or phone number to message, even though there was. I think the odds of this being a coincidence are remote.

Keep in mind the corruption to her contact was completely invisible to the end-user. Her email and phone still showed up correctly when you looked at it on my phone or Outlook (which “push” syncs with the iPhone in near real-time). So whatever happened when CarPlay accessed the contact caused a subtle corruption that thereafter affected the formatting of messages to that contact.

I presume if this corrupting factor was systemic – i.e. always happens – there would have been more reports of it by now. But it means that the CarPlay access of the contacts is at least invasive enough that some glitch occurred that created random corruption which means the potential is there for it to happen again. In other words, instead of just "reading" the contact data, which would have no impact on it, whatever it is doing has the potential to "write" on the record too.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Is your email account on your phone set up for IMAP or activesync. Since I haven't gotten the car yet I'm not sure if the car reads the account from the phone or if you have to set up the account on the car also .. If the car in fact does have it's own mail client that would make it more logical, but if it's reading the data off the phone that's another can of worms, how does it connecting to your phone USB, wifi, bluetooth?

You say that once you reset the account everything was fine again?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is your email account on your phone set up for IMAP or activesync. Since I haven't gotten the car yet I'm not sure if the car reads the account from the phone or if you have to set up the account on the car also .. If the car in fact does have it's own mail client that would make it more logical, but if it's reading the data off the phone that's another can of worms, how does it connecting to your phone USB, wifi, bluetooth?

You say that once you reset the account everything was fine again?
It's Activesync with the office Exchange, or EAS.

CarPlay doesn't have it's own mail client -- it leverages the phone to maintain the data, run the apps and provide the connectivity -- it is supposed to just provide an additional car-specific UI layer. So it doesn't copy my contacts into the car, but leaves them on the phone.

It wasn't reseting the account that did it. In fact we re-created my entire profile in Exchange and the problem didn't go away. What fixed it was killing the specific contact in Exchange for my wife and generating a new one from scratch. The contact itself had been corrupted, but again in a subtle way that didn't affect any of the visible data. And whatever that corruption was, it caused all Outlook clients (from multiple devices) on my side to uniquely output the emails to her specific contact differently than anyone else. If her email address wasn't a recipient the email remained formatted and the attachments preserved. If I sent it to someone else and they forward it to her, everything was fine. But if my clients detected her contact as a direct recipient, it converted everything to plain text and striped out all attachments. As soon as the contact was killed and re-generated it worked fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts