SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
What is "DAB"?

Also, curious: what apps do you guys, in Europe, get?

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Is Spotify working for you ? I heard about lot of issues.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The CarPlay icon is ugly and out of place on that screen. I'm a ton a fun at parties.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The CarPlay icon is ugly and out of place on that screen. I'm a ton a fun at parties.
Then move it to where you would like it to be.
The issue is that the CarPlay icon doesn't match any of the other icons. And it's bright neon green. Not sure if it's apple or Volvo's doing, but it could be better.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Is Spotify working for you ? I heard about lot of issues.
Not a single issue. Not sure how there could be as it's just running off your phone. No difference.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
The issue is that the CarPlay icon doesn't match any of the other icons. And it's bright neon green. Not sure if it's apple or Volvo's doing, but it could be better.
Ah gotcha. To be fair though it would be nice if any of the other icons had differentiating designs so it would be easier to discern while driving. If CarPlay was down with the apps it wouldn't stand out in a negative way IMO.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Not a single issue. Not sure how there could be as it's just running off your phone. No difference.
So if you save your playlists offline, they get stored in the iPhone or the Volvo Sensus hard drive ?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
My Spotify is working but I have major issues with it in CarPlay. It's not just running off your phone, the interface is totally different and you can't search via CarPlay.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
My Spotify is working but I have major issues with it in CarPlay. It's not just running off your phone, the interface is totally different and you can't search via CarPlay.
Ok - my point though is that the issue is on your phone, as it's running every bit of CarPlay that you see.
Spotify app up to date?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Hmm not sure, I think my app is up to date but it may not be. But I didn't think this was a bug, I thought the apps were limited when they get interpolated to CarPlay. Even Apple Music has reduced functionality in CarPlay which I don't like. My issue is that I don't like how some apps work, not that they don't work as designed.

To be clear: can you search in Spotify, in CarPlay?

I'm

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Hmm not sure, I think my app is up to date but it may not be. But I didn't think this was a bug, I thought the apps were limited when they get interpolated to CarPlay. Even Apple Music has reduced functionality in CarPlay which I don't like. My issue is that I don't like how some apps work, not that they don't work as designed.

To be clear: can you search in Spotify, in CarPlay?

I'm
I'll have to check. I still am in the habit of picking up my phone when I need to do something drastic (change playlists, search for a new album, etc).

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I checked today and as far as I know my Spotify is current but the CarPlay view is drastically limited. No search button that I could find anywhere.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I checked today and as far as I know my Spotify is current but the CarPlay view is drastically limited. No search button that I could find anywhere.
I see the same - but I think that it works as CarPlay is intended to work. It's intended to use Siri for most/all inputs to keep drivers attention off the center display.
Apple Music has a little more guts than Spotify, but not by much in CarPlay.

I don't think you'll ever see a day when CarPlay will allow an onscreen keyboard. At best, maybe Siri integration will occur with Spotify and a verbal search could be employed. But given that Apple Music has just added Siri and it's still not a complete integration, I wouldn't hold my breath.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi guys - I have an R (bursting blue. Such a good color IMO) that recently had the software update. I see some apps like Pandora and yelp but the car play "app" is greyed out. Not really grey just using the term in computer talk. Can't touch it, etc. any idea why? My iPhone is connected via BT. Also is Weather a mess. Way way way off. Like the same town in a different state. It was literally high teens here and clear as anything but app said 67 and rain. Odd. The next town was correct.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Can Car Play be used via BT? I couldn't figure out how.
No, CarPlay in the xc90 doesn't work wirelessly. For now it is plug in only. If that'll change eventually, because ios9 made wireless CarPlay capable, we don't know.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Is anyone else annoyed that CarPlay is a $300 option? Any idea how much of that amount is licensing to Apple (I'm assuming a pretty big chunk)? I can buy a brand-new unlocked iPhone 5S for just $450 on Apple's website, so Volvo is charging me 66% the price of the phone just to be able to connect to it? Is most of the rest of the cost attributable to the insurance cost for expected accidents that happen while people mess around with CarPlay?

The ship our vehicle is on is supposed to dock tomorrow, but I am in the group of California owners still waiting for the ARB to finish testing the T8. I have a hard time justifying an extra $300 for the privilege of connecting my phone. Do they at least throw in a lightning cable? On my $30k Kia (which also bundles in app control without an additional service charge, but that's a separate story), I don't have CarPlay, but I do have a button for accessing Siri directly (and wirelessly through BlueTooth), which is all I really want so that I can send a short text or two if I need to. It's disappointing to know that to be able to do this in a car that costs more than twice as much I'll have to pay an additional $300 and also have to pull my phone out of my pocket and connect it to a wire.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts