SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my Rdesign last week with Convenience and vision package, and had the dealer install apple carplay as complimentary. Now, when I try to connect my iphone 6 and open car play app, it tries to connect and then gives me connection error. I tried restarting phone, and my iphone is up to date and I tried switching cables(including the new cable from apple store) still same "connection error". Did anyone encounter similar issue before? is there any thing else I can try before taking the car to dealer? Please advise.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I got my Rdesign last week with Convenience and vision package, and had the dealer install apple carplay as complimentary. Now, when I try to connect my iphone 6 and open car play app, it tries to connect and then gives me connection error. I tried restarting phone, and my iphone is up to date and I tried switching cables(including the new cable from apple store) still same "connection error". Did anyone encounter similar issue before? is there any thing else I can try before taking the car to dealer? Please advise.
Hello RK235
Double check that you have removed any Bluetooth connections or IPOD connections with the same phone. My wife had the same problem with her IPHONE but she had previously been connected via the IPOD USB connection.
Regards

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
You do not necessarily need to delete the bluetooth pairing - my iPhone works just fine over Bluetooth when not plugged in via USB for CarPlay.

I do, from time to time, get the connection error when I plug in my iPhone during the Sensus start-up. I've had much better luck plugging in before starting the vehicle or waiting a few moments until Sensus is loaded fully.

·
Registered
398 Posts
You do not necessarily need to delete the bluetooth pairing - my iPhone works just fine over Bluetooth when not plugged in via USB for CarPlay.

I do, from time to time, get the connection error when I plug in my iPhone during the Sensus start-up. I've had much better luck plugging in before starting the vehicle or waiting a few moments until Sensus is loaded fully.
Hello Reeg2

Agree about not having to delete the Bluetooth function but after the software update and Carplay added there was some connectivity issues. Deleted all the connections with her IPHONE and the car and restarted with CARPLAY connection and Bluetooth etc and there are now no issues. Sometimes a delete all and reconnect will fix things :)

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Hello Reeg2

Agree about not having to delete the Bluetooth function but after the software update and Carplay added there was some connectivity issues. Deleted all the connections with her IPHONE and the car and restarted with CARPLAY connection and Bluetooth etc and there are now no issues. Sometimes a delete all and reconnect will fix things :)

Have you re-configured bluetooth to work in Sensus? I'd be curious if that causes your problem to start again.
Since CarPlay disconnects your Sensus bluetooth connection, but not other active bluetooth connections (like an Apple Watch), I am surprised it's relate to this issue.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Correct Carplay will only function via USB. The issue was after software update and Carplay update there was issues with my wife's IPHONE. In order to fix we removed all connection configurations from USB and Bluetooth. Then reconnected the IPHONE - USB for Carplay and Bluetooth for the other functions/services and there have been no issues since.
More like a PC problem. Get the user to reboot to clear things :).
Just a recommendation to rk235 to remove all configurations and try again and see if the problem is resolved or still there.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I also have the sporadic CarPlay Connection Error. What you suggest is fine, except that I've been using VOC to remote start a LOT lately (winter weather and all). Using remote start, it's not possible to plug in my iPhone prior to starting the engine.

Edit: While a bit annoying, I've just learned to physically disconnect and reconnect my iPhone. And it fixes the error every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I also have the sporadic CarPlay Connection Error. What you suggest is fine, except that I've been using VOC to remote start a LOT lately (winter weather and all). Using remote start, it's not possible to plug in my iPhone prior to starting the engine.
I remote-start every day, so what I typically do is plug in my phone before I switch the car on as required to do to get the car "fully-on."
Either that or I'll back down my driveway, at which point Sensus is usually fully booted, and then plug in.

I read on a separate site that iOS 9.3 CarPlay improvements may solve for the weird connection problems.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I remote-start every day, so what I typically do is plug in my phone before I switch the car on as required to do to get the car "fully-on."
Either that or I'll back down my driveway, at which point Sensus is usually fully booted, and then plug in.

I read on a separate site that iOS 9.3 CarPlay improvements may solve for the weird connection problems.
I have iOS 9.3 public beta, and I still randomly get the connection error. Unplugging and plugging my phone back in works, but it's annoying. I'm gonna have to mess around with finding the perfect time to plug in my phone during the startup sequence of the car to see if that makes any impact.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I will try the suggestions posted here and will let you know. Thanks all.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I have iOS 9.3 public beta, and I still randomly get the connection error. Unplugging and plugging my phone back in works, but it's annoying. I'm gonna have to mess around with finding the perfect time to plug in my phone during the startup sequence of the car to see if that makes any impact.
Bummer - so maybe it's something in the Sensus boot-up causing it. Seems to prioritize getting media playing and the cameras active, then seems to load the Nav (which takes the longest).

·
Registered
240 Posts

He's right, either you connect it before you start to drive the car or after the engine is warm enough.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Bummer - so maybe it's something in the Sensus boot-up causing it. Seems to prioritize getting media playing and the cameras active, then seems to load the Nav (which takes the longest).
Sometimes, when I get it working, and start listening to music, I'll put my car in reverse, and when I switch to drive, it will stop the music. CarPlay will still be connected, but it stops the music... Not sure what that's all about.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Sometimes, when I get it working, and start listening to music, I'll put my car in reverse, and when I switch to drive, it will stop the music. CarPlay will still be connected, but it stops the music... Not sure what that's all about.
Pay close attention - I think what's happening is it starts to play over bluetooth as carplay starts up, then when carplay is initialized and it transfers the audio to carplay, it pauses. Mine does this every time, I simply click the play button under the center display or the mute/play button on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I don't have my phone connected to Bluetooth. I did "forget this device" on my phone once I got CarPlay so I wouldn't have issues with BT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I agree with Bhilmer. The manual states to connect the phone before starting. Maybe eliminating BT and connecting via hardwire can reduce connectivity issues - which I even had with 2016 XC60.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I'm still getting this thing where CarPlay will either start up with the volume all the way down, or just suddenly mute out of nowhere. Pretty sure this has happened when switching from reverse to drive.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I had a funky CarPlay issue pop up today. I hit the voice/Siri icon on the wheel and commanded to "Call X", and she came back with "no phone connected" and this message also showed in the drivers display. This is strange, as my iPhone definitely was connected via USB, the Carplay tile was showing, and I was able to make the call using the CarPlay controls on the Sensus screen. Siri worked for dictating text messages, just not making phone calls.

I unplugged and reset the phone, restarted the car, etc. but I am still getting the same error. I will try a different USB cable later. Has anyone else experienced this or have a fix?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had CarPlay connection issues. I switched from an after market sub cord to a genuine Apple cord, problem solved.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts