SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting a cargo roof box, and my local dealer has a good price on the Atlantis 1800. The Volvo cargo box is made by Thule.

On the Thule site, I ran through the fit tester to ensure there is full clearance with the rear hatch when it opens, i.e you don't want the hatch to bang into the roof box.

In the .pdf from Thule, the largest box I can use is the Atlantis 1600, otherwise there will be "hatch interference".

Unfortunatley, only the 1800 is sold via Volvo, and when I asked the local parts person, they of course said it would work without any interference.

Does anyone here have experience with the Atlantis 1800 cargo box on their XC70?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
On the Thule site, I ran through the fit tester to ensure there is full clearance with the rear hatch when it opens, i.e you don't want the hatch to bang into the roof box.
This shouldn't be an issue with any cargo box, since you can easily set the height at which the rear hatch will stop when opening. However, it would certainly be desirable to get a box which allows the hatch to open to its maximum height and provide the greatest access to the cargo area.

·
Registered
281 Posts
There are no fitment issues.

I have a Thule 1800 or bigger, don't remember off hand, on my 2009 XC70 with the Thule cross bars. I always set the back of the box to be an inch off the open rear hatch when I put the box on the wagon. The front of the box just about covers the sun roof.

I also used the same box on my deceased 2005 XC70 that had Volvo aero cross bars. Again, no fiotment issues,

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This shouldn't be an issue with any cargo box, since you can easily set the height at which the rear hatch will stop when opening. However, it would certainly be desirable to get a box which allows the hatch to open to its maximum height and provide the greatest access to the cargo area.
Thanks Buff, forgot you could manually set the hatch parameters - could be useful.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just bought the Atlantis 1800 because the price was just too good to pass up at my dealer. (For a change, the Canadian price was better than getting via the US.) I have no idea what Thule is talking about in their fit guide, because I can slide the Atlantis quite far back (well over the satellite antenna) without the open hitch touching it. The fit is perfect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts