SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a cargo box so I can carry more junk this holiday travel season (clothes, dog-related stuff, etc. Not looking for snowboard- or ski-specific boxes.). Anyone have any recommendations and/or pictures of a cargo box on their V60 (or S60 or XC60)?

Here are some I'm considering (sidenote: http://www.mr-box.com/us/car/volvo/v60 is a nifty site):

Thule Force L 624
Thule Force XL 625
Thule Sonic Large 634B

Although I have the Thule Aeroblade bars, I don't have to have a Thule box. Other brand recommendations welcome.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I shopped for a roof top box for my V60 revently. Surprisingly the Odin 1750 Volvo box (made by Thule) was the cheapest. It is huge, has quick connect clamps, opens on both sides, locks, you can fit skis in it, etc etc etc. I suggest you consider it. Being member of a local club, I also got 15% off straight from Volvo.

Check it out.

http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-us/XC90(-14)/Accessories/Document/VCC-475274/2009

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice. Thanks for the recommendation and link. Do you think the Odin 1750 is a Volvo-branded Force XL?

How is the size relative to the car? Can you still open the trunk without hitting the box?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I bought the Yakima Skybox 16 Carbonite. Side by side with the Thule there was no comparison for strength of the boxes (was at an REI with a large selection). Mr Box helped me too. I originally was going to do the Skybox 12 since it was skinnier and wanted a bike rack to be able to sit alongside. Well, works with the 16 too and four more sqft of storage. The other sway towards the Yakima were the good warranty stories online. With 20% coupon it was around $400. Oh, and fits the Thule Aerobars wonderfully.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It looks the same as the force xl 625 & has the exact same dimensions, so very likely yes. It would'nt make sense for thule to develop a new box just for Volvo. It says Volvo on the box, instead of Thule of course.

You can still open the trunk if the box is placed right on he car. You'll have to set the bars a few inches fore of the door pillars.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
h

56nord is prototyping some amazing full carbon roof boxes. They are available for pre-order now for those with deep enough pockets to drop what I imagine is a few grand on a cargo box Hahahaha. This is more fun than helpful, but I too have been looking at roof boxes lately and came across this so thought I'd share.

More:
http://56nord.com/gallery/

·
Administrator
55,932 Posts
This is the Volvo Weekender box, about 15yrs old now. While this box does hold a fair amount, I'd like to find a more aero dynamic one and have it painted either gloss black or rebel blue to match. Really just need to hold beach chairs, umbrella and boogie boards.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thule Pulse Alpine Roof Box
Box opening Passenger side
Gear capacity (L) 311 liter
Gear capacity (cu. in.) 19,008 cubic inches
Ski load capacity 5 - 6 pairs
Snowboard load capacity 2 - 3
Internal straps Yes
One-handed opening Yes
Length 7 ft. 4.5 in.
Width (in.) 25.5 inches
Height (in.) 12.5 inches
Weight 30 pounds

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tang-O, nice rig!
Thanks!!!. Just drove 1600 miles over the Holidays. I've never driven a car so comfortable on the highway. The seats are just amazing!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks!!!. Just drove 1600 miles over the Holidays. I've never driven a car so comfortable on the highway. The seats are just amazing!
Unrelated, what did you wrap your Sparco Pro Corsa's with? I have Pilot Sport A/S 3 on mine and cannot eliminate a vibration. Have you experienced any balancing problems with yours?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Unrelated, what did you wrap your Sparco Pro Corsa's with? I have Pilot Sport A/S 3 on mine and cannot eliminate a vibration. Have you experienced any balancing problems with yours?
Sorry to hear that :( - No balancing issues luckily. I have 235/45R-18 MICHELIN X-ICE XI3 XL. They were on the car for a month before the trip. My only suggestions are to inspect the inside of the rims for potential bending. Make sure you have your rims clear of any pesky chunk of 'sticky' ice or snow as well. Even a small amount may cause a vibration. If nothing obvious comes out have the wheels/tires rebalanced at a shop. Where did you buy the tires/wheel package?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Have you had them road force balanced? If so did they give you deflection numbers?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sorry to hear that :( - No balancing issues luckily. I have 235/45R-18 MICHELIN X-ICE XI3 XL. They were on the car for a month before the trip. My only suggestions are to inspect the inside of the rims for potential bending. Make sure you have your rims clear of any pesky chunk of 'sticky' ice or snow as well. Even a small amount may cause a vibration. If nothing obvious comes out have the wheels/tires rebalanced at a shop. Where did you buy the tires/wheel package?
Every time they are mounted, the vibration changes. Thinking its the hub rings, have aluminum ones on order. Wheels and tires came from local shop, that sourced through Tire Rack. Tire shop and dealer have all tried balancing them 2x to no avail.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Every time they are mounted, the vibration changes. Thinking its the hub rings, have aluminum ones on order. Wheels and tires came from local shop, that sourced through Tire Rack. Tire shop and dealer have all tried balancing them 2x to no avail.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
Looking at the hub rings as you pointed out is the next logical choice then. I gather your other set of wheels don't have an issue, right?
Good luck. Keep us posted when you nail the solution!
FWIW, I ordered directly from Tire Rack as well (no local shop though).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Got the OEM load bars from the dealer plus 15% off. Also got the mtn bike rack with 20% off, And I have the Thule Cargo box so pretty stoked when the dealer can beat the Rack guys

·
Registered
45 Posts
One of the reasons got the V60 was how the load bars attaché to the roof with out touching the paint

·
Registered
611 Posts
Got the OEM load bars from the dealer plus 15% off. Also got the mtn bike rack with 20% off, And I have the Thule Cargo box so pretty stoked when the dealer can beat the Rack guys
Good deal on the 15% off with the dealer (and they look really good)!. I plan on buying the OEM roof rails for our V60CC. I think I get some percentage off with my VCOA membership but don't remember what. The OEM roof rails on our Saab wagon had the side overhang and I usually use this to help secure the load with straps. These Volvo rails are more aerodynamic looking than my Saab rails.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts