SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our van is on its last leg, but one amazing thing I can do is stow all the seats in the floor (don't have to take them out, just flip them down into the floor) and slide in 4x8 sheets in it, then close the door.

I doubt I can do that in an xc90, but I really don't know.

Looking to replace van with an older xc90 or maybe xc70. I'll need something to haul stuff (sod, board length wood, anything big and probably not very clean) when the van is let go next march or april.

I found this for the 2012 xc90:

Width between wheel wells (narrowest part of the vehicle): 44.5″

Cargo depth with all rows up: negligible

Cargo depth with the third row down: 45″ on the floor, 38″ deep at the narrowest point (seat back 17.5″ above floor level)

Cargo depth with all rows down: 74.5″

Interior height (min): 32″ at hatch and for 4″

Interior height (max): 34.5″ at the base of the second row

Hatch dimensions: 32″ tall, 29″ to 42″ wide

Not sure if that's the size for all model years. Guessing I could load 4x8 sheets diagonally, but they would hang out about 2'.

Does anyone that owns (or has owned) both xc90 and xc70 have advice?

·
Registered
696 Posts
It's exactly the size of a twin mattress, if that helps.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Based on what I've carried in my XC90, 4x8 sheets should just fit with the hatch closed.

Speaking of which, the front passenger's seat folds flat, allowing you to carry items about 10' long with all doors closed! I've rented an XC70, and while they are pretty cavernous as well, they aren't as large inside as the XC90.

Also, if you're planning to carry dirty stuff in the car, I highly recommend Volvo's protective trunk liner. Mine has paid for itself many times over... :D

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, very helpful. I didn't know about the front seat. sometimes we do (like we just did about an hour ago) buy 2x4s in 8' lengths and sometimes trim 10' or longer. Nice to know about that feature.

I would opt for the 90, just wanted to keep an open mind about the 70.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts