SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been planning on replacing my ceiling liner in my S40 due to it wonderfully falling and dispensing foam wonderfulness all over my car! Lol. I got to thinking on my way home from work I wonder what a carbon fiber wrap would look like up there. Has anyone ever seen this done with a liner? I happen to love the look of carbon fiber on cars...... With that said who wants to share pictures of wraps you've done?? I would love to get ideas and start wrapping things myself.

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
Thought about wrapping the liner, but it's foam and has to be bent to get in/out of the car. Material is sadly the only way to go for that. But wrapping the A and C pillars could look awesome! I'm actually starting to get tired of my FGM interior, so I may be wrapping a lot myself...

Grille Slash 1:

Grille Slash 2:

Did the door trim, but removed it because it didn't look right with the mirror trim and window trim still remaining black... I may do something a little more extravagant next time.

Not to bomb this thread, but does anyone have experience with Meguiars vinyl? I noticed that walmart now carries it, which is handy for when you wind up 6" short...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very nice! Grill looks awesome both colors! I may start there.... Depends on if I get a debadged grill or not. I to thought about carbon fiber on the door pillars but went with the piano black over lays. If i ever do the mirrors with carbon fiber I may change my mind on that. I saw carbon fiber overlays on ebay for the roof trim. I'm afraid it may stick up to much but I think the mirrors, roof trim and door pillars would be a nice trifecta!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Key + Interior

Grill

Interior again

Also did the doortrim but removed it straight away, it was to many carbon fiber on the car.
Next up maybe the plastic around the fog lights. Or maybe ill do that in Plastidip.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also did the doortrim but removed it straight away, it was to many carbon fiber on the car.
Next up maybe the plastic around the fog lights. Or maybe ill do that in Plastidip.
Looking good! I just love the look carbon fiber brings to a car! As far as your key....did you add some sort of sticker to it or is that a shell?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Looking good! I just love the look carbon fiber brings to a car! As far as your key....did you add some sort of sticker to it or is that a shell?
Its the wrapping vinyl, ive cut a piece, heated the vinyl and stick it up the key. And then just cut it out. I also did a Mercedes-Benz key and a BMW key.

And thanks ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not to bomb this thread, but does anyone have experience with Meguiars vinyl? I noticed that walmart now carries it, which is handy for when you wind up 6" short...
So is the stuff Walmart Carries Carbon fiber look? I was just there getting a bunch of waxing stuff and a dremel to remove my pin stripes. I thought it was going to be sooooo much easier removing the pinstripes......didn't realize it was paint lol! I did some research and found a couple methods that look easy...ish :)

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
Those stripes are painted on? Wow... Good luck with that, hopefully the stripe is on top of your clear coat.

And yes, Meguiars makes black, anthracite, and white carbon fiber simulations, brushed aluminium, and various wood grain prints in vinyl wrap.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Those stripes are painted on? Wow... Good luck with that, hopefully the stripe is on top of your clear coat.

And yes, Meguiars makes black, anthracite, and white carbon fiber simulations, brushed aluminium, and various wood grain prints in vinyl wrap.
Mine is 3M i got from a local wrapper.

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
Mine is 3M i got from a local wrapper.
I've gone through a lot of 3M di-noc. I'd stick with the brand, but like I said, I'm going to try the Meguiars stuff for ease of access.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've gone through a lot of 3M di-noc. I'd stick with the brand, but like I said, I'm going to try the Meguiars stuff for ease of access.
I dont even knew Meguiars had stuff like that. I cant find anything about it on the dutch site of them :s Probably you cant have that here in belgium.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will probably give the Meguiars a shot. Since these will be some of my first wraps it would be nice to know I can just run up the road and grab some more if I eff it all up ;)

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
Okay, so...

Meguiar's Wraptivo is very easy to use. I'm not sure on the exact specs, but I would consider this to be a medium-thin thickness. I've used di-noc that's been roughly the same thickness as this and both are easily applied and shape to the contours of parts well. (I've also used thicker di-noc and that stuff was a nightmare...) Wraptivo also adheres just as well as any name-brand vinyl.

Appearance, it looks just as good as di-noc does. Wraptivo comes in black, grey, and white. Di-noc comes in multiple shades of black, grey (anthracite), and white.
Below is "black" wraptivo next to some "black" di-noc:

In person, the Wraptivo looks better. I feel that black di-noc is too black which causes it to lose its detail.

Now I will say, for a novice wrapper, the interior trim pieces could be a little tricky. This is the first time I've wrapped the door handles on our cars and it took me about 45 minutes to get it applied and cut right.

All that aside... For future projects, because of the ease of accessibility, I will most likely be spending the $2 extra per foot just to pick up this vinyl at Walmart.

We shall see how well this vinyl holds up to summer heat.

My satisfaction? I give the vinyl an A+. Of course it doesn't look like REAL carbon fiber, but it looks just as good as any of the competition in the carbon fiber vinyl business. I haven't decided if I like the look in my car or not. Once finished, the full set may just end up in classifieds.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks so much for the info. I will pick some up next weekend and give it a run! I will post info once I do. For what it's worth I like the way your handles look lol

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
Wrapped the waterfall and then parked in the heat at work. It's holding up well, just make sure you have plenty of extra vinyl wrapped around the back.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts