SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Carbon fiber project completed (with pics)

So I think I have completed my CF project. See :

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?132761-Carbon-Fibre-cup-holder-cover

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?138451-Carbon-Fiber-project-continues

The photos took at night as I could not wait for tomorrow. As mentioned in my previous posts I worked with wrapping the original console panels in Carbon Fiber finished with epoxy/lacquer.

I removed the OE HU and got JVC unit instead. The reason why I picked JVC - the ability to change menu colors. I wanted that option as to match blue illumination theme, since I did interior light swap.

I always wanted to have blue interior illumintaion to match the instrument panel. (I could not get all of the lighting switched though. If anyone has any ideas - I am all ears).

Now, I also got Garmin GPS. I thought for a long time for the appropriate placement for it. I can't stand GPS mounting on the windshield. I also thought about placing the unit in the same place as theOEM GPS but it is way out of reach. So I decided to take the center vent panel out, cover one of the vents with an aluminum panel and apply CF over it. IMHO it looks part of the car now and is within reach.

I also had to move the emergency as well as suspension control buttons afterm my manipulation with vent cover. I liked the idea of blue stitching and decided to get some leather that would match the interior and run blue stitching on the side. The buttons were placed in the middle. I kind of liked that since JVC HU was too thin and something was missing under it. (The pocket that was a part of aftermarket radio panel looked hideous).

BTW learning how to use sewing machine was pretty cool. (Thanks to my wife).

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I love it!!

·
Registered
920 Posts
Interesting....

I never was much of a glossy CF fan, but your manipulation of the dash components garners and A for effort. That leather strap with the 4C/Skyhook buttons and hazard looks like the strap/handle for the rear middle armrest no?

·
Registered
7,951 Posts
I love your setup!!

So...umm Can I mail you all my switches, cluster, CCM for a swap?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I like it but the emergency flasher switch is kind of funky. Also, how the hell do you know what temperature you ac/heat is set to

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Wow, Sir, nice job. How long did this project take you??

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I love your setup!!

So...umm Can I mail you all my switches, cluster, CCM for a swap?
Thanks. Even though I liked working on this project, AC panel was PITA to work with and had to be redone 2 times. I would not want to do this again.
I like it but the emergency flasher switch is kind of funky. Also, how the hell do you know what temperature you ac/heat is set to
Knobs have small holes that illuminate and indicate the settings. I could not think of the way to save dials/indicators etc.
Wow, Sir, nice job. How long did this project take you??
Started working with CF at the beginning of this year. I could probably finish everything sooner but I took my time.
Thanks all.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Not crazy about the look of the leather strip, but the repositioning of the 4c buttons is brilliant. Did you block off the one vent for the Garmin or is it attached in front of the vent?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did you block off the one vent for the Garmin or is it attached in front of the vent?
No one of the vents is completely covered. Originally I wanted to install GPS deeper inside the vent panel but it did not work out.

·
Registered
194 Posts
With the exception of blocking off the one vent and flasher switch, I like it a lot

·
6,436 Posts
Definately an amazing effort. You do have some skill.

However, personally I wouldnt want to have that in my car. It's too shiny, doesnt go with anything in the car and the whole thing looks like a stick-on. The 4C buttons look out of place, the hazard lights triangle is too big for its position and its shape doesnt match anything surrounding it. The leather strip looks like the whole center console is being held by a used belt. The cf gap between the radio is not uniform (letter touches it from the bottom). The whole thing reminds me of when *****s mold their license plates into their bumpers at an angle.. sorry just keeping it real...nothing personal - just expressing my taste

·
Registered
788 Posts
Damn! Bad A$$! :eek:
One of the most unique interiors I've ever seen.
I'm jealous.

Art

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Very nice!!!!! I like the way you repositioned everything to balance things out. You've got some skill's my friend, mad skill's.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
You should do the dry look. Like This.

·
Registered
117 Posts
looks great man,

1 - 20 of 40 Posts