SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WE have a 2004 XCT70. We tow a small, ultra light camping trailer with it. This past weekend we got to the campground, shut off car, went into to register, camp back out and the car wouldn't start. The raidio was working fine, battery was new in Jan 2012. I remembered that our daughters 99 XC70) had a problem like that when we were visiting, So I took the key out of the ignition, turned the key over, and tried again. Nothing. I did this several times. Still nada.

Of course we were blocking the way for others to get in, so the campground owner, unhooked our car and pushed it out of the way, then using a tractor, moved our trailer to the camping site. We called road service, and had our car taken to the garage that services it. (not a Volvo garage or dealership.) Thank goodness we were close to home. Our son-in-law dropped our other car off. A friend will tow our trailer home today.

When we got home, we called our daughter who lives out of state and has an XC70, she said the problem with their car was that the anti theft device wouldn't recognize the key. They took it to the dealership, but the dealership couldn't do anything about it. Said she had a friend that had the same problem and the dealership couldn't get it resolved either.

We called our dealership, (closest one is 90 miles away) and were told that it sounds like it could be the anti theft device not recognizing the key. Said that probably, the device itself, or the key needs to be reprogrammed. They said it takes about an hour.

Has anyone else had this issue and if so did reprogramming it solve the problem? We are scheduled to take the car in at the end of the month. Until then we will drive our other car. We just got back from a trip to ND for my Dad's funeral. Sure glad this problem didn't occur there. We were in the middle of nowhere. Over 2 hours from the nearest city and not even sure there is a Volvo dealership in Bismarck. I was in no shape to deal with it there, so happy it didn't act up until now. Hope it's not a pricey fix.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
Most likely the immobilizer ring. DIY-able if you're handy.

If its the key, then yes, a dealer only thing.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Probably your antenna ring
A key NEVER has to be REprogrammed, run from that dealer

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Probably your antenna ring
A key NEVER has to be REprogrammed, run from that dealer
It's a very reputable dealer and really the only one we have. We have most the work done at a local garage but go to the dealership when it is a must. Maybe I misunderstood what the tech told me. Are the immobilizer ring and the antenna ring the same thing?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Is it assumed that the engine was turning over? I may have missed that part...

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Hope it is resolved now. There are times that the immobilizer doesn't recognize the key in my car. Seems the signal can be blocked by the way I hold the key. Strange.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The car is home, it started fine when I went to get it. Will take it to the dealership next week. I have to know this car will start when I expect it to, not 15 minutes, or an hour or 2 later. We have had this car for over 3 years and this was the first time it happen. Turn the key...nada, doesn't turn over, we just hear the click of the starter.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
That's something else.
You should not hear the click of the starter

·
Registered
353 Posts
That's something else.
You should not hear the click of the starter
Agreed. If your immobilizer ring is bad, the car can't tell the difference between your key and a screwdriver (or other object inserted into the ignition).

If you're hearing a click, I'd suspect one of the following: weak battery, bad cell in the battery, bad battery cables, problem with the starter, bad ignition switch.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Agreed. If your immobilizer ring is bad, the car can't tell the difference between your key and a screwdriver (or other object inserted into the ignition).

If you're hearing a click, I'd suspect one of the following: weak battery, bad cell in the battery, bad battery cables, problem with the starter, bad ignition switch.
Battery was new in Jan 2012. Had it into stealership, they put new antenna ring in, cost $170.00, today the car did the same thing. Took me 20 minutes of taking the key in and out, waiting a bot and putting it back in and trying to start the car. The message says, check imobilizer device. Very fed up. Called the service dept. and was told it could be a defective part they put in, and to bring the car in. It is a 90 mile trip for us. Hubby is not a happy man, can't say I'm too happy either. WE have to go out west in 3 weeks, need to have this resolved before then.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Battery was new in Jan 2012. Had it into stealership, ...
I've never been very fond of this quaint internet expression. If that's how you truly feel about the dealership in question, you should probably take your business elsewhere.

...Took me 20 minutes of taking the key in and out, waiting a bot and putting it back in and trying to start the car. The message says, check imobilizer device. Very fed up. Called the service dept. and was told it could be a defective part they put in, and to bring the car in.
It happens. Parts can be bad out of the box or fail very quickly. Doesn't really matter what brand of car is involved. I don't recall reading that you got the "Check Immobilizer Device" message before. Is that new or did it happen previously?

It is a 90 mile trip for us.
If this is an issue for you (and it sounds like it is) you may want to consider purchasing a car that has a dealer closer to where you live. When I owned a MINI, the nearest dealer was 120 miles away. I knew that going in and chose to deal with it. When I lived in NC, the nearest dealer for everything I owned (BMW, VW and Volvo) was 50 miles away. Again, the inconvenience wasn't enough to make me want to change cars.

Hubby is not a happy man, can't say I'm too happy either. WE have to go out west in 3 weeks, need to have this resolved before then.
Things like this can be quite maddening. However, no brand is immune to the issues and buying new isn't necessarily a cure for it either. For example, I once had a brand new GMC SUV spend 75 days in the dealership in the first 8 months of ownership. Even with all of that, it didn't qualify as a lemon.

If I had a long trip planned and did not trust my vehicle, I would simply plan on renting something. I will often do that anyway as a means of reducing the wear and tear on my own car.

I hope you get your situation resolved soon.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I apologize for my choice of words. My frustration at paying for something that didn't fix the problem, got the best of me. We took it to the dealership to have the problem resolved, and the problem continues, even after we replaced the part the computer said needed replacing. They said they checked the key and it was fine. I figured that if we had it to the dealership and they did a computer check on it, the problem would be fixed. Why would the machine check, computer check say the antenna ring needed replacing if it didn't? We'll just have to take it back and hope they can really resolve it. My son-in-law, (lives in another state) said it is likely one of 3 things, antenna ring, chip in the key, or the wiring harness. Said he had a friend that replaced all 3 and the problem still remained.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
I really don't think it's the wiring harness. A bad ground, POSSIBLE, but the wiring harness - no, that's another thing that Volvo does very well in addition to water pumps.

It's possible that the key is the issue but I don't think I've ever heard of a transponder fail. The immobilizer ring is a common enough issue.

The ring does not require the services of a dealer. Have your dealer send another new one to you and have your local mechanic swap them out and send the old one back as a warranty exchange.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Hope the problem has been sorted out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Problem still not sorted out. Got stranded thursday night, with 4 of the grandkids in the car. Tried for about 20 minutes to get the car started. By then it was nearly 10 PM, kids were tired, so I finally took the church van home. Our Pastor tried to start the car about an hour later, but no luck. it started the next day, when I brought the church van back. Going back to dealership on Monday. Will have them check the ground. They checked the key when I was there last, but will have them do that as well. We live in a rural area, extremely low risk of car theft. Hubby is wondering if it is possible to disable the anti theft device. Has anyone done that?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Hope it will be all taken care of at the dealership. Pretty risky to be left stranded in the rural area.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It is scary in a rural area to not know when the car will start and when it won't. Even more so, once winter arrives. We went in with a list of things that we wanted checked. A start control unit was on the list. They replaced that and we are all hoping the problem is now resolved.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Hope it is all resolved. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thought I posted an update on this, but didn't see it here, so here goes again. We think the situation is truly resolved now. Took it back to dealership, with a list of things we wanted checked. Among them was the starter relay switch. After checking many other things, the tech said he was pretty sure that was the issue, and put a new one in. We were there about 2 hours while they checked things out and did the repair. They did not charge us anything. We were grateful for that. They said they get about 10 Volvo's a week that need the antenna rings replaced, all are older and have at least 100k on them. The new antenna ring resolves the problem in about 8 of the 10, we would be fortunate enough to be in the minority. Hoping it is fixed "for real," this time.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts