SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I left work today, I started the car and it died after a few seconds. Then it wouldn't start for about 2 minutes. Finally got it to start and then the same thing happened. I just so happened to have my dad's Matco OBDII scanner and it gave me code P0073. I cleared it and then it started and I drove it home. After I got home, I tried to start it again and the same thing happened. Only this time, the CEL and oil light came on. Checked oil which is fine. Scanned again and now have more codes.

P0073 (ambient air intake temp sensor)
P0571 (missing signal from brake pedal sensor)
P0503 (vehicle speed sensor intermittent/high)
P0863 (TCM communication circuit)

Any ideas what is going on? Why would my oil light come on over this?

I had already had a shop checkout the ABS issue as I keep getting that light in the morning on the way to work. I can feel the pedal act funny when I come to the first stop sign, the light comes on and then everything is fine. Light usually goes off after about 15 min. A shop checked it and found nothing wrong although they did find a loose wheel speed sensor bolt which they tightened.

TIA

·
Registered
491 Posts

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Given the disparate nature of those codes, my first guess would be that your battery is failing. Have you replaced the battery and/or had it tested?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have not but I felt like when I was turning it over, it seemed slow to crank like the battery was lacking.

Please also note my edit. There was an additional code I forgot to post. P0863

·
Registered
491 Posts
Battery needs replacing ASAP!!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ding Ding Ding!! 12.3V :) Off to get a battery now. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
B/c it should be 12.8+

My BMW tested 12.86 and my wife's car was 12.83

Chance it's the alternator as well but since I can't start the car, I can't test it.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those cars were off as well. One of my best friends is a mechanic and said when the car is off, the battery should be at least at 12.8v.

·
Registered
491 Posts
My car sits at 12.5 on but not running. Battery rests at 13. Running 14.5

However I'm running a Metra battery, 100 AH and 2250 CA

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
While I was up there, I noticed that the battery has a 3/11 sticker on it so I am going to take the battery to Volvo tomorrow and see if by chance it is still under warranty.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Lead acid batteries are 2.1 volts per cell and have been for over a hundred years. There are 6 cells in a 12 volt battery, so a fully charged battery should read 12.6 volts.

Immediately after charging a lead acid battery can have a surface charge, and you may temporarily see something greater than 12.6.

With car running and properly charging you should see about 14 volts. All alternators we call 12 volt are actually 14 volt.

When cranking battery voltage should not drop below about 10.5 volts.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
New battery and all was fine for a few hours. Then brake failure light. Then i came to stop light and went to go and felt a bang. Then no tachometer and trans wouldnt shift. Trans service needed on obd and now wont start even after i clear the codes.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If it's the trans, i will be looking for a 6 speed swap.. getting it towed to a shop now. Car was doing so well..

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Could this be the valve body? My neighbor across the street has a V70 and said the same thing happened to his car. Valve body was bad but he also had problems with trans before that and his trans ended up needing replacement. Hoping it's just my valve body as I will just park the car over paying for a new trans.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
if 6spd swap, get your angle gear fund ready too.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts