SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i drive my R earlier today, about 3 minutes away to a grocery store. I get in 10 minutes ago and when I try to start the car, it sputters like there's a battery issue and stays at 0 rpm, and 2 seconds later the needle jumps up to 1.5 then immediately back down to 0 without the engine starting. I don't have VIDA or DICE yet since I just recently got the car but I plugged in the elevate autotech tune thing to check for codes. Nothing really serious, I got ECM 5000 which is a low rpm reading? When I put the ignition into 2, i get the CEL flashing maybe 2-3 times then it goes away. Also the fan will intermittently run for a minute or two when i try to start the car. A shop that fixed my bumper replaced the plugs at the same time with OEM ones about a week ago, which I thought would fix the seemingly abnormally long ignition time that the car had. It needs to be registered yet (came from out of state) so I haven't driven it much, but it seemed like the plug change helped. I have no idea what's up with the car. Any help is appreciated guys.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Check the cam sensors on the back of the engine... Also worth it to check the timing belt...

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
where are the cam sensors on this? i've never dealt with this kind of thing so i'm not sure how to check them. i'll check the belt.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Right at the back of the cylinder head. About 3" to the right of the over the engine pipe. Where those arrows are pointing. There is also another on for the exhaust camshaft.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Might also be the crank position sensor on top of the transmission.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What could cause it to do that? I've only had it for about 2 weeks. The only problem(?) I've encountered is the oddly long startup time. Previous owner worked for Volvo in texas and replaced the majority of the stuff that could possibly go wrong. Timing belt was done, I know that. Screws on the engine cover won't come off for whatever reason, gonna try it again tommorow. Would the timing belt be able to like, die after ~30k miles? I looked at the cam sensor and nothing looks off.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Honestly sounds like the car is preventing the start because a sensor isn't reading that the crank or cam isn't rotating.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are there crankshaft sensors on Rs? Think that could be it?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright, after class tommorow I'll try to see if I can find it. If anything I'll have AAA tow it to the local volvo dealer and have them do that free diagnosis thing. So far from the symptoms it seems it'd be that sensor. Thanks for the help man.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Alright, after class tommorow I'll try to see if I can find it. If anything I'll have AAA tow it to the local volvo dealer and have them do that free diagnosis thing. So far from the symptoms it seems it'd be that sensor. Thanks for the help man.
Takes a 10mm socket and a few minutes to pull it off. Look for metal filings on the sensor.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ordered that crank pisition sensor that waffles put up. Earlier today I was screwing around with the caR trying to see stuff, and I unplugged the cam sensor (the one that's on the top of the engine), blew on it, reseated it and the car started. it still starts very rough and takes forever. does that pretty much confirm it's the crankshaft sensor?

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I ordered that crank pisition sensor that waffles put up. Earlier today I was screwing around with the caR trying to see stuff, and I unplugged the cam sensor (the one that's on the top of the engine), blew on it, reseated it and the car started. it still starts very rough and takes forever. does that pretty much confirm it's the crankshaft sensor?
Crank sensor or cam sensor?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ordered the crank sensor. the cam sensor is good.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
First time I've seen this thread, from the description and code my guess is on crank sensor too.
Seeing you confirm/agree with my diagnosis makes me feel about 200x better :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts