SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driver rear wheel locked up. Clanking sound coming from the rear differential. Parked the car in the garage it’s a roller right now and pulled the E brake came out to the car a few days later and it won’t move... has anybody experienced this ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Parking brake shoes probably came apart. Hopefully no damage beyond the shoes and springs but I've seen them damage spindles and cables as well.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't understand what you mean. If the wheel is locked up, how can you drive it so the diff makes noise?
Rocking it back and forth in the garage trying to push it out. I raised the car and the passenger rear spun and driver rear is locked in place. It'll rock and inch forward and an inch backwards.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Are you in humid area? I would guess the metallic parking brake shoes are rusted to the drum. You might want to rock it harder. And never use the handbrake for more than a few days, especially in a damp or humid climate.

·
Registered
14,185 Posts
Pretty common problem with these cars. Happened to mine and I never ever used the parking brake - they just delaminated. Like Tech said, hopefully you got to it fast enough that there was no significant damage.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pretty common problem with these cars. Happened to mine and I never ever used the parking brake - they just delaminated. Like Tech said, hopefully you got to it fast enough that there was no significant damage.
I usually leave it in gear but the engine and trans are out right now. So it may just be stuck ?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you in humid area? I would guess the metallic parking brake shoes are rusted to the drum. You might want to rock it harder. And never use the handbrake for more than a few days, especially in a damp or humid climate.
I'm waiting to swap the new motor in so I'll just fix the issue and chock the tires from now on.

·
Registered
14,185 Posts
I usually leave it in gear but the engine and trans are out right now. So it may just be stuck ?

Yes. I also had this problem with a Honda CRX many years ago. The brake pad material delaminates from the shoe and gets jammed between the backing plate and the drum. You just need to pull it apart to see what's going on.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes. I also had this problem with a Honda CRX many years ago. The brake pad material delaminates from the shoe and gets jammed between the backing plate and the drum. You just need to pull it apart to see what's going on.
Sweet thank you

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.