SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay guys, i went to a few dealers to have them check on my car and of course they did not find anything wrong... car shows no codes or anything.

My car runs like crap:

1. the rpm gauge floats when driving. for instance, my rpm gauge will be up when i'm going at 40mph and stay at around 3-4k rpms even when my foot is off the pedal.

i am thinking that it is either the throttle body or something wrong with the transmission?

2. my car runs sluggish, like it is not getting enough power or it takes more pressure on the pedal to get going. i have also noticed that my engine is louder when i press on the pedal...

checked all piping for boost leaks already and just bought a new tcv, could it be a waste gate issue because of the engine being a little louder than normal?

sorry to start a new thread and all, but i'm just so frustrated having spent so much money so far with no luck as to why my car runs like crap.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
This may be too basic, but worth a shot, but when was the last time you changed the air filter?

Also, year and mileage?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i looked at my air filter and it's new. The car is 2005, automatic, 63k miles.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

here's a video i just took, you can see me pressing on the pedal until around 35-40mph and then letting go of the pedal and the rpm is still up until i start slowing down under 10mph....

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you think it's a wastegate issue that would cause the rpm's to stay up when i am not on the throttle? i'm confused

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
A buddy of mine had an hyundai sonata with a leak in the intake. Same symptoms: sluggish power, rpms staying high until he came almost to a complete stop, etc. I thought he was crazy, but he thought he had an intake leak. He replaced the intake mani gasket, and the problem was solved. I don't think it's your gasket, but I would really really do a smoke test, boost pressure test thing (pressurize intake to 22 psi and look for the leak), etc and rule that out first...

-Steve

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Smoke test? I brought it to a few shops and they ruled out a boost leak. I'm getting my boost gauge installed soon so I can figure out my numbers. Could it be the maf? I plan on cleaning it before buyin a new one...

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
okay guys, i went to a few dealers to have them check on my car and of course they did not find anything wrong... car shows no codes or anything.

My car runs like crap:

1. the rpm gauge floats when driving. for instance, my rpm gauge will be up when i'm going at 40mph and stay at around 3-4k rpms even when my foot is off the pedal.

i am thinking that it is either the throttle body or something wrong with the transmission?

2. my car runs sluggish, like it is not getting enough power or it takes more pressure on the pedal to get going. i have also noticed that my engine is louder when i press on the pedal...

checked all piping for boost leaks already and just bought a new tcv, could it be a waste gate issue because of the engine being a little louder than normal?

sorry to start a new thread and all, but i'm just so frustrated having spent so much money so far with no luck as to why my car runs like crap.
In my experiences, the most common culprit for "searching RPM's" (assuming no metered air leaks or vacuum leaks) is due to a faulty/dirty MAF, dirty Throttle Body Plate or failed Fuel Pressure Sensor.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
+1 to what George said. Do you have a smartphone or an IPhone/IPad/ITouch? I used the Rev2 app on an ITouch that I connected to the car with using an OBD adaptor with WiFi. When my car developed a problem with "surging" on my morning freeway commute I was able to monitor the fuel pressure live on the screen and was able to see it bouncing around, new FPS and problem solved ( I did have some stored codes though, here's my thread). You can also monitor MAF volume and many other live parameters from the OBD and you can scan and clear ECU codes. I'm currently using the Torque app on my Droid (connecting with a Bluetooth OBD adapter, it's a pretty handy tool. I'm a little surprised the dealers weren't able to help, but it can be a problem if they don't have a service tech familiar with the R and its idiosyncrasies. You could also let us know where you are and maybe someone can get you a recommendation on an R familiar mechanic. Anyways, just a thought.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the help guys, i am located in bellevue, washington. My RPM stays steady at start up and there is no hesitation or anything until i get up to around 35-40mph....

In my experiences, the most common culprit for "searching RPM's" (assuming no metered air leaks or vacuum leaks) is due to a faulty/dirty MAF, dirty Throttle Body Plate or failed Fuel Pressure Sensor.
Hey george, i just purchased a tcv from you guys that just arrived yesterday. Great service from you guys at viva. About to put it on after work today to see if it helps. i also plan to clean the maf while i'm changing out the tcv. i guess my next step would be to clean the throttle body plate and get a new fuel pressure sensor ?

BlazinBob--
yeah i do have an Iphone 4s, would i need a wire to connect to my car's system?

thanks for all your help guys i will check all of your pointers and then report back.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
The Iphone connects using a wireless network that's created by simply plugging in the OBD adapter and searching for the network it creates, then launch the app that reads the data from the ecu. I used the Kiwi WiFi from PLX Devices - there may be cheaper equivalents, but this worked great for me.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UPDATES:

1. okay i took out the MAF sensor and cleaned it with CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner. The MAF sensor looked very clean and almost brand new.

2. i also just replaced the tcv with a brand new stock tcv. reset the ecm on the car and it runs okay for the first few minutes then all of a sudden it starts to feel sluggish again.

3. after driving around after replacing the tcv i notice that if i floor it i can hear my engine is very loud in the cabin, everything in the car is stock btw. Also when i floor on the throttle i can hear a loud hiss or almost a sound similar to a blow off valve?

could this be a wastegate or turbo issue??

whats wrong with this dang car.....:(

·
Registered
915 Posts
ok, I'll belly up.. did you?
Smoke it?
Check for codes / pending or hard
Test fuel pressure
Compression / leakdown?
Check plugs/gap / coils for cracks?
Does any of the lighting change when accel?
edit: MAF sensor.. cleaning? how did you do it? IMHO cleaning them is a bandaid on a bullet hole
Sounds like a sensor is reading something beyond acceptable ranges, dropping you back into limp

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i didn't smoke it because i don't know how and there is no shop around my way that does it
there is no codes at all, went to a few shops and everything reads fine
i don't believe it's the fuel pressure because the car idles fine and when i press on the throttle there is no hesitation
i had the plugs changed and all that by the dealer, haven't checked it yet but wouldn't there be a code?

i don't think it's the MAF because it literally looks brand new

what would make my engine be louder in the cabin all of a sudden? Is there a way to check if my turbo or wastegate is running properly ??

·
Registered
3,758 Posts

Good ole Scotty :D

·
Registered
915 Posts
An evap leak should/would cause a CEL, so I'm guessing that a smoke might not be that helpful. you can fall into limp with out a code..sucks.. how did you clean the MAF? Due to the complexity of that sensor it could look 100% but still be having issues. As for the plugs. did you take a look at the coils and the wiring leading to the coils?
What kind and octane gas do you use? Have you tried a hard reset? Disconnect battery...? If so does it run fine then fall back into limp? Have you adjusted / modified anything reciently? Ever used an oiled air filter?
you can email me if you like, I'll me more than happy to help a lil. [email protected]
Good luck

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i cleaned it by following the instructions on the crc can, just sprayed it with the cleaner. Should i run the car with the maf sensor unplugged and see how it responds?

i haven't looked at the coils yet because i didn't think this would cause my problem of the rpm gauge floating??

i use 92 octane gas and i have done a hard reset multiple times after putting in a new part. it runs fine from like the very beginning like from 0-35mph but after that it gets very sluggish and my engine is more noisy than normal. my car is stock too!

thanks for your help

1 - 20 of 56 Posts