SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The automatic 1999 V70 XC I bought from my neighbor has a bit of a problem that I am unsure of the severity of. If I shift the car into drive from reverse without coming to a complete stop, there is a chance the car will stall. Sometimes I can catch it with the brakes before that happens, but if I am not careful I stall. Is this a common issue, and if it is it is a severe one? My car has a little over 190,000 miles. Otherwise, the transmission shifts fine when in motion.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Doing this is really not good for any automatic car. If I was driving something with 190k miles I would definitely not be putting this kind of stress on the transmission. It is annoying, but it's best to come to a COMPLETE stop before you force it into another gear. I know there was a number of GM Lambda models with the 6T75 automatic that were especially prone to transmission failure, due to stress placed on the wave plate by improper shifting habits.

This is a weird analogy, but hear me out. Say you're wearing a rope around your body that is also tied to a massive oak tree. A wild boar approaches (since I guess we are in the woods). You can run a certain distance before your body is yanked in the other direction by the tension of the rope, and it's going to hurt. If you do it over and over again you will break something.

Your Volvo is 22 years old. Give it a break.

·
Registered
'95 855 T5M, '97 854 T5
146 Posts
Check the transmission fluid level. My 850 would stall shifting from reverse to drive when the fluid level was low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
You may just have a very dirty throttle plate. Oil vapors go around or past the throttle plate while driving.
The hot oil vapors cool down and condense on the throttle plate. Over time oil gunk will build up and restrict the air flow at idle or a closed throttle plate.
Same as your flue in the fire place can get soot build up.
When driving, let off of the gas stopping, does the RPM's ever go below 700?
If yes, you have a dirty throttle plate, the engine can not get enough air at idle or slowing down.
It is not easy to access and/or clean the t-plate on your car.
The t-plate is located under the intake, behind the radiator cooling fan area.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts