SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has been shaking for a little while. It's not like an earth quake but it kind of vibrates. It got better with my hub centering rings but it's still there. It happens mostly when braking. I did install coilovers but it shakes prior to that.

·
Super Moderator
15,146 Posts
Were you on springs or lowered in some way before the coils?

How are your axles?

How's your alignment? Did you get it re-aligned after the coils?

What kind of tires are you running on?

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
warped rotors?

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
My car has been shaking for a little while. It's not like an earth quake but it kind of vibrates. It got better with my hub centering rings but it's still there. It happens mostly when braking. I did install coilovers but it shakes prior to that.
I see it's an 05'. Have you replaced the front control arms yet? Check the rear bushing carefully.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hit any epic potholes recently? Maybe a bent rim. I have a slight bend in mine (so I was told) and I feel a tiny shake cruising at around 40mph.

Also had shakes while braking, and it was indeed worn rotors. Fixed when replaced.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
sounds like warped rotors and you possibly need an alignment and your wheels balanced

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was on stock suspension before the coilovers.. And I have not replaced the control arm bushings. I have Toyo proxy 5 tires that have a decent amount of tread left on them. I do have a bent rim but I feel like it is also something to do with the suspension.. Because I did not have any shaking with my winter rims. So say it is a bent rim, would a balance fix that?

·
Registered
915 Posts
I was on stock suspension before the coilovers.. And I have not replaced the control arm bushings. I have Toyo proxy 5 tires that have a decent amount of tread left on them. I do have a bent rim but I feel like it is also something to do with the suspension.. Because I did not have any shaking with my winter rims. So say it is a bent rim, would a balance fix that?
It really depends on how bad the bend is. Take it to a tire shop and see if they can balance it....if not, look for a new rim.

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
It really depends on how bad the bend is. Take it to a tire shop and see if they can balance it....if not, look for a new rim.
If they can't balance it, you don't have to buy a new rim - there are plenty of shops out there that specialize in removing bends from rims. I bought a set of rims for my A4 which turned out to have 2 bent rims, and a local shop fixed them right up for a lot less than 2 new rims! Just my $.02

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok thanks for all the help

1 - 11 of 11 Posts