SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I promise, this is the last paranoid question I am going to ask for today. Has anyone had an issue when you turn off your car, using the knob, the car shakes, it is more a noticeable vibration that feels like a shake, while the components are being turned off? Most of the time, it is a very smooth shut off, no vibrations what so ever, but there have been times where you can really feel the vibration through the car, imagine the car shivering for a second or two. I don't use the auto start/stop feature a lot because of my driving times being more in rush hour traffic. Just wanted to see if you guys felt the same thing.

On a side note, i turn off everything before shutting the car off, AC and radio.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Hi All, I promise, this is the last paranoid question I am going to ask for today. Has anyone had an issue when you turn off your car, using the knob, the car shakes, it is more a noticeable vibration that feels like a shake, while the components are being turned off? Most of the time, it is a very smooth shut off, no vibrations what so ever, but there have been times where you can really feel the vibration through the car, imagine the car shivering for a second or two. I don't use the auto start/stop feature a lot because of my driving times being more in rush hour traffic. Just wanted to see if you guys felt the same thing.

On a side note, i turn off everything before shutting the car off, AC and radio.
Hmm. Do you have Air?

I never turn anything off before shutting down and I always use Auto-start-stop during rush hour and have no issues FWIW.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I don't have the air suspension. I mainly have to turn off the feature when I park my car in the garage since it is so tight and I have to make sure I am not hitting anything on the side walls, so at times I need to stop which triggers the auto shut off.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, hitting the Play/Pause. But I the radio has nothing to do with the vibrations I am feeling. That was just a side note on what I do.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Isn't it normal behavior for a car to shake/vibrate somewhat when turning it off? The D5 XC90 I had for testing was doing it, barely noticeable tho.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Isn't it normal behavior for a car to shake/vibrate somewhat when turning it off? The D5 XC90 I had for testing was doing it, barely noticeable tho.
You right, I expect a little vibration, but this is quite noticeable. It doesn't happen all the time. Typically when I turn off the car, I don't feel anything or it is very subtle and feels normal. Just once in awhile I get this vibration that shakes the car and you wonder, what the hell was that, because it feels out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just noticed my car doing this yesterday after I picked it up from the dealer. They had just finished installing the November update and repairing a blown amplifier. The car has never shivered nor vibrated like this before in the 6 months that we've had it. Mine also does not do this each time I turn it off. In fact, it hasn't done it at all today, but it was really noticeable all day yesterday. I was going to give it a few days and see if I needed to adjust some of the Individual Drive Mode settings (and see if anyone on here has experienced the same thing) before calling the service department again.

·
Registered
2021 Inscription Recharge - 2021 Silverado LTZ 6.2L
1,739 Posts
I just noticed my car doing this yesterday after I picked it up from the dealer. They had just finished installing the November update and repairing a blown amplifier. The car has never shivered nor vibrated like this before in the 6 months that we've had it. Mine also does not do this each time I turn it off. In fact, it hasn't done it at all today, but it was really noticeable all day yesterday. I was going to give it a few days and see if I needed to adjust some of the Individual Drive Mode settings (and see if anyone on here has experienced the same thing) before calling the service department again.
Mine does this periodically. It feels like a light dieseling if youve ever had a car that would run after being shut off. Not that it keeps running but the vibration is very similar. It is almost like there is a dis-synchrony in the shut down order.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine does this periodically. It feels like a light dieseling if youve ever had a car that would run after being shut off. Not that it keeps running but the vibration is very similar. It is almost like there is a dis-synchrony in the shut down order.
I never had a diesel bwfore, so I can't speak to it. But you're right, it does feel like the shutdown is not synchronized.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine has done this occasionally, as well. Probably three times in about two months of ownership. I can't say if there is any commonality pre-shut down steps. I figure I'll mention this to the dealer when it goes in for the software update.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have had a D5 XC90 for three days. Turning the engine on and off is completely smooth. But I remember that my previous petrol car did shutter a bit on turning off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
345 Posts
It is a supercharged and turbocharged engine maybe a little post detonation from the engine being hot. Do you notice it more when the car has been running for a while vs short trips.?

·
Registered
2021 Inscription Recharge - 2021 Silverado LTZ 6.2L
1,739 Posts
I never had a diesel bwfore, so I can't speak to it. But you're right, it does feel like the shutdown is not synchronized.
I don't mean this is how a diesel shuts down. "Dieseling" in a petrol engine means there is detonation after the ignition is cut (a diesel only requires some measure of temperature and pressure to fire, no ignition, petrol engines in poor order can do this). I only know what it feels like because of the crappy old cars I drove when I was poor. This has nothing to do with the XC90 from a mechanical perspective, only that the sensation is similar. I only speculated that a slight disorder in shutdown could result in a similar characteristic.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It is a supercharged and turbocharged engine maybe a little post detonation from the engine being hot. Do you notice it more when the car has been running for a while vs short trips.?
It has been random. It has happened after a 10 minute trip and it has happened on a after hour long trip.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts