SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I turned on my car this evening after it's been sitting outside for 3 days (under rain), and I immediately noticed that it's shaking very unusually...I thought it'll get better in a minute once I start moving, but it didn't. It acted kind of limp and it took its sweet time to accelerate, and after 1 minute, the check engine light started flashing and a red triangle appeared in the dash along the message "Try slow down or shift up". I headed back to the parking and turned it off.
A couple of hours later, I went back in the car, turned it back on, and it idled just fine with no trace of the check engine light or the red triangle. I connected my OBDII reader (just the generic one I bought from eBay), and I saw the code P0301 (Cylinder 1 misfire detected). I'm not sure when that code was generated though (there is no time-stamp on the app I'm using). I took the car for a ride for 10 minutes, and everything was working smoothly.

The car is 13 years old with 93k miles on it. Google'ing around told me that I need to change the spark plugs and the ignition coils. The spark plugs now have 48k miles and more than 9 years on them. Are they the cause of the incident? If so, why is the car running fine again?

I'd appreciate your help.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Sounds like a sensor or battery issue. Glad to hear it's fixed, but if it happens again - bad batteries are the #1 cause of issues on these cars.

Coils go bad and then get worse when they are heated - if that isn't your issue, it isn't the problem.

I get cyl 1 misfires above all others when there are issues. Get the battery checked - then go plug and coil if the problem persists.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
the battery is definitely 10 years old, maybe even older! i bought the car CPO'd in 2010, and the battery was changed some time before that (can't remember now). it's a Volvo OEM battery.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like a sensor or battery issue. Glad to hear it's fixed, but if it happens again - bad batteries are the #1 cause of issues on these cars.

Coils go bad and then get worse when they are heated - if that isn't your issue, it isn't the problem.

I get cyl 1 misfires above all others when there are issues. Get the battery checked - then go plug and coil if the problem persists.
the mechanic called and said the battery is at 94% (whatever that is), and he doesn't recommend changing it at this time. he also said the car runs fine and there is no code now. i asked him to check the spark plugs. not sure i believe his 94% (he also mentioned something like 600 CCA, but i think the battery should be 750 CCA for a car with premium sound system). anyhow, if the spark plugs come out fine, i'll buy a new battery at Costco and change it myself...it's way too old at 10+ years.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Move the cylinder 1 coil pack to cylinder 2. If the next p0301, comes in as cylinder 2 misfire, then you know it’s the coil pack.

Either way you’re due for plugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Bad coil pack as stated above, you dont need a whole new set just the one thats bad but its recommended you switch them all at once - Whatever brand you buy keep your recipes for warranties, i had a new AC Delco go bad on me after only a few months of use.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The mechanic said the car throws no codes at all and is running fine. I asked them to check the spark plugs, and they changed the spark plugs...he showed me the old ones; one of them had some browning of the ceramic part. From what i found online, the corona stain on spark plugs are normal and doesn't mean they're going bad, but i think after 48k miles and 10+ years, they were due to be changed. Not sure what happened on that one incident with a misfiring cylinder, but I'll check the battery myself and will probably change it as it's very old.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
The fact that you have a battery that has lasted 10+ years in a 200+*F environment and is at 94/100 is mindbottleing to me right now. Even sealed units don't last that long.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just changed the battery on my s40 found out ot was a bad battery and the wrong size and everything... Now we have one with 790 CCA, right size and everything car runs so much better no codes or misfires or anything else (besides A/C relay but we gotta replace the compressor and clutch)

*unofficial volvo durability tester*

1 - 9 of 9 Posts