SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my 05 S40 aligned after new tires installed, thinking it would cure a pulling to the left problem. It didn't, and I'm wondering why. It's enough to make my hands tired after a few miles on the highway, requires about 3 lbs of force constantly down on the right side of the wheel to correct.

What components would cause this problem, and should I go to an alignment shop or Volvo (warranty)?

·
Registered
710 Posts
if you keep the steering wheel to the right always in the same position, does the car still pulls to the left?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I constantly hold the wheel a bit right when trying to go straight... I'm not sure if I'm holding it beyond center or using force to keep it centered, though.

·
Registered
710 Posts
ok... i had the same problem...

2 alignment shops didn't know what to do. My car would go strait but only if i kept the steering to the right in the same position. the center as of by a few degrees.

The 3rd shop went under the car and (i'm gona try to explain this in english).

You have a bar that goes from the steering to each wheel, rights?
What they did was shorten the length on one side and add the same to the other. It's an adjustable bar (like the rear camber kit for our cars).

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, mJrO.

I hope I can get this fixed as easily as you say; it is really annoying on the highway (though it does make sweeping left turns easy).

·
Premium Member
9,305 Posts
Re: (mJrO)

Quote, originally posted by mJrO »
okYou have a bar that goes from the steering to each wheel, rights?
What they did was shorten the length on one side and add the same to the other. It's an adjustable bar (like the rear camber kit for our cars).
That adjustment is called the "thrust angle" and it's rather important. There is also a rear thrust angle, and it has to be identical to the front, both of them straight down the centerline of the car.

Mattdoc, did you get an alignment printout? Can you post it?

Tom.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have one, but I got it before I moved into a new house... So I have no clue where it is. I'll scan and post it when I find it. I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Re: (mattdoc)

Did anyone switch the tires from side to side. I have had a bad tire causing a constant pull. This test will find it.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had them switched from front to back when I had the alignment done (directional tires) and the pull remained.

·
Registered
664 Posts

I would have tried swapping right to left and then take a short highway drive but answer this question first.

Did it do it with your old tires? ( I sort of assumed you implied it happend after you put ther new tires on.)

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got the new tires a few days after getting the car, and don't really know if it was doing it or not before that. I got the car in September '07.

·
Registered
664 Posts

If you have no luck with the alignment I would still try flipping them left to right to see if the car starts to pull to the right. That was the first thing my alignment shop did when I had the same problem.

The tricky thing with unidirectional tires is you don't have a perfect set of 4 matched tires. The two rights and the two lefts were made in different molds on different days so any minor rolling irregulary is not evenly cancelled out.

A rare occurance but I have actually had it happen to me with brand new tires.

·
Registered
98 Posts

Does the car pull to the left in all lanes or does road crown in the right lane cancel it out? It is possible the shop adjusted to compensate for this. Without seeing the alignment numbers one has to guess but there can be several possible causes:

-Rear toe (thrust angle) not centered to vehicle
-Difference in front camber from left to right
-Difference in front caster from left to right
-Tire conicity (cone shape), same affect as camber

Front toe (if the rear is correct) will only make the wheel not centered, it won't cause the car to pull. Incorrect camber will cause a stronger pull than caster. Neither camber or caster in the front are adjustable on this car but there is some slop in the upper mounting holes once the bolts are loosened.

Modified by hawkeye4211 at 3:00 AM 1-8-2008

·
Registered
56 Posts
Re: (hawkeye4211)

Take your car back to the alignment shop and tell them what it is doing. They should know how to fix it. Camber & Caster are not adjustable on these cars. Yes, there is some 'play' in the components, but not enough to make to make the car pull.

I also highly doubt that your tires are causing this, although stranger things have happened. If you have directional tread tires, do not swap the tires from left to right as earlier mentioned, unless you actually want to go to a tire shop and have them switch the tires on the wheels.

·
Registered
664 Posts

Running tires backwards dosent hurt them The tire companies fixed that problem a long time ago. The directionality is just for hydoplaning.

We flip our race tires around any way to even out the wear and only worry about the direction on rainy days.

I am really surprised the alignment shop has not investigated this. It has happend twice to me and I felt stupid the second time that I brought the car back to the alignment shop with out checking it first. The first time was an old tire gone bad but the second time was a set of brand new set of BFG Defender tires.

Throw the tire question/suggestion at the alignment shop but be very diplomatic.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi,

I've the same problem on my S70. Tracking has been checked in a shop, swapped tyres around, increased pressure in the front left, but nothing seems to work. Then I wondered if it's the power steering that's pushing the steering away from the center position.
Which rods are you referring to? Can you link to a picture that shows it maybe?
Thanks,

Ronald

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: (Duq)

For the record, I got new wheels and tires about 700 miles ago, and the pull lessened, but did not go away.

I have some pics of the suspension area at home, and I found my alignment printouts. I'll post them this evening when I'm home. I think I know what the adjustable rod mentioned above is, but we'll see when I post pics.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts

I had a similar issue with my '02 S40. I got 4 new tires and an alignment. Afterwards, the car pulled and had a vibration. I took it back and they rebalanced the tires and swapped them around. It still pulled. They realigned on a different rack and different mechanic but it still pulled. I even checked that they were using the correct numbers and watched them do it.

Finally, I took the car to a different place and they said that the alignment was off. They realigned and the problem was solved. The only thing that I can guess is that the alignment racks were not calibrated correctly at the first shop.

Stan

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: (AutoGeek)

I know it's been a while, but here are my two alignment printouts (I went back because it still pulled after the first one, but the second one didn't fix it). It was also aligned at a Volvo dealer, the third alignment, with no result. I don't have a printout from them.

Also, below are two pics I took of my right-front wheel area last time I had my wheels off. mJrO, if you'd mark them up with arrows to illustrate what you meant by "a bar that goes from the steering to each wheel" I'd appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts