SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I have a 2016 XC90. The paint on the hood is starting to bubble and the top (clear coat) layer is peeling off. When I got the car new, there was a chip on the hood that they touched up. Don’t think that has anything to do with the problem but just mentioning it.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
413 Posts
No

·
Registered
838 Posts
the "touch up" could have all to do with it. Was it in fact touched up. you can see a touch up 99% of the times. Is the paint peeling where the touch up occurred? if yes, that is the cause. The panel was not prepped and sanded properly.

·
Registered
261 Posts
post some pictures

·
Registered
254 Posts
pics are needed

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Our MY1992 940 showed bubbles after a while on all horizontal areas. The paint was "blistering".
The possible cause may have been that the color in the factory paint shop had been changed just
before our car was painted and that some residual water was still in the system after cleaning it from
the previous colour. During summer, the sun "activated" the inclosed droplets.
I thought this could have happened since Volvo hadn't completely ironed out all problems of using
water solubale paint at the time. After a long battle, the car was completely sanded and repainted.
If your XC suffers from the same "disease", I may show blisters in different stages of development.
On our 940, they were clearly visible as domes of several heights and craters under the microscope.
Perhaps the hood of your car was completely redone, or perhaps it was showing the first signs
of blistering. The question remains whether the chip on the hood was just that.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I think the hood is made of aluminum. If that is the case and the touch up wasn’t done correctly, moisture could have gotten to the aluminum and the aluminum started to oxidize. If that happened it could potentially debond the paint from the metal.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

These are the best pictures I can get. The place where they touched up is actually fine so I dont think thats the problem.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
That really looks terrible! It looks as though the clearcoat didn't bond to the paint.
I don't think can happen when the car is painted and coated at the factory.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
I imagine that your car is currently out of the original warranty. Extended warrantees do not cover paint, so that is not a remedy. One would think perhaps contamination during the painting process is the problem. However, given that it is a factory paint job, those facilities are almost like clean rooms. Anytime you place one product over another there is going to be some difference in the coefficient of expansion. After many heat and cold cycles the expansion can begin to break the mechanical bonds that were initially established. Look at the exterior of a home. After a while because of expansion differences the paint begins to separate from the surface. You don't see it as much in cars as the paint is done in a controlled environment and is baked on. However, I do see cars around that are doing what yours is showing. Do you leave it outside all the time? Does your weather change dramatically over the seasons? You could ask Volvo to do a good will fix or help in sanding and reshooting the clear coat. If you are the original owner they might be willing to help. Have you asked?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im bringing it into the dealer this Wednesday. Fortunately it is still under warranty. I will let you know what they say.

·
Registered
838 Posts
My guess, this car was repainted. This happens when it's not sanded properly before paint. so the clear has nothing to bond too. This hood will have to be sanded, prepped and resprayed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My guess, this car was repainted. This happens when it's not sanded properly before paint. so the clear has nothing to bond too. This hood will have to be sanded, prepped and resprayed.
Yes. When I first got the car, they repainted bc of a chip in the hood. I knew about it. Because they repainted, the dealer said it has a lifetime warranty on the paint and they are repainting the whole hood.

Great service always from this dealership. I was expecting a fight but they were nothing but professional. I recommend Volvo of Huntington (NY) to anyone looking for a really good NY dealer.

Thanks for everyone who replied!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
3,958 Posts
Just reading through the thread, didn't realize you were local. Glad to see you got it taken care of!

·
Registered
8,218 Posts

These are the best pictures I can get. The place where they touched up is actually fine so I dont think thats the problem.

Question::

What state are you located (if in the United States)?

Good News:

You are still under warranty. First, speak to Service Manager and General Manager. Be polite and see if you can develop a game plan with the dealer. Looks like the clear coat is pealing? None the less, I'd probably shoot for a complete repaint. Especially being that the paint / clear coat seems to be pealing all over. So there's no point in repainting limited areas.

If the dealership won't offer a full repaint, I can help you reach out to the Executives at Volvo Corporate. But first start with the dealer and see what happens.

Good luck.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
I know you love reaching out to executives, but the dealership is fixing it for free already so relax.
Please read my statement again: If the dealership won't offer a full repaint, I can help you reach out to the Executives at Volvo Corporate. But first start with the dealer and see what happens.

I recommended he first contact Service Manager + General Manager to resolve the issue with the dealership.

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
They are repainting the whole hood. You want him to ask for the whole car to be repainted? Pretty unreasonable.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts