SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

this past Sunday my '18 XC60 T8 decided to give me a B-Day gift and not start. I drove it Saturday evening, parked in the garage and plugged in the charging cable.
Next day at noon, I tried starting it and everything seems to turn on except the engines.
Several times I turned the knob and even attempted remote starting it but nothing worked until I disconnected and reconnected the 12V Battery.
After that both engines were running fine but I got the message "Hybrid Sytem Failure" and Check Engine Light was on at ~7800miles. Monday morning the CEL and messages have disappeared.

I went to the dealership and apparently this was a known issue and the actual solution was to disconnect the 12V battery for 20min and then do a software downgrade.
My previous SW update was on March 14 2019. However, there's already a newer version and my dealer installed that one instead.

In addition, there is a recall for the ERAD Thermostat replacement (Service Action S29926) but yesterday I checked for recalls with my VIN and it wasn't showing up.

I would not have expected that I need to carry with me tools for such a new car in case this **** happens when I'm somewhere on the road.

I really think VOLVO should get this SW update process fixed. It's just ridiculous, I should schedule a monthly visit to the dealer for the latest bugs :mad:.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Hi all,

this past Sunday my '18 XC60 T8 decided to give me a B-Day gift and not start. I drove it Saturday evening, parked in the garage and plugged in the charging cable.
Next day at noon, I tried starting it and everything seems to turn on except the engines.
Several times I turned the knob and even attempted remote starting it but nothing worked until I disconnected and reconnected the 12V Battery.
After that both engines were running fine but I got the message "Hybrid Sytem Failure" and Check Engine Light was on at ~7800miles. Monday morning the CEL and messages have disappeared.

I went to the dealership and apparently this was a known issue and the actual solution was to disconnect the 12V battery for 20min and then do a software downgrade.
My previous SW update was on March 14 2019. However, there's already a newer version and my dealer installed that one instead.

In addition, there is a recall for the ERAD Thermostat replacement (Service Action S29926) but yesterday I checked for recalls with my VIN and it wasn't showing up.

I would not have expected that I need to carry with me tools for such a new car in case this **** happens when I'm somewhere on the road.

I really think VOLVO should get this SW update process fixed. It's just ridiculous, I should schedule a monthly visit to the dealer for the latest bugs :mad:.
The hybrid battery cooling thermostat is probably a service action/compaign, not a safety recall in a published database. So you can't find it by searching. I am glad they take the step to replace it on all affected T8's.
If this new error was introduced in March for your car, now I am wondering if I am affected. My update was done in early January.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The hybrid battery cooling thermostat is probably a service action/compaign, not a safety recall in a published database. So you can't find it by searching. I am glad they take the step to replace it on all affected T8's.
If this new error was introduced in March for your car, now I am wondering if I am affected. My update was done in early January.
Yes, it's Service Action S29926. I think it should be a recall though - I believe on my previous Audi it was a recall.

Either check with your dealer for an update or have a 10mm wrench with you :)

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Actually in Feb I did see CEL and motor didn't run. I cleared out the CEL with a OBDII reader and problem was gone, so far so good. Likely related issue.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
I bought it for my old car and luckily it is useful for new car too. lol

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I'm running the April update, no issues - https://www.volvocars.com/my/support/article/b863fc0ad77848b5c0a801515970036d

In fact, I've noticed slightly better ICE efficiency on short highway trips (cold engine). On a short 5 mile highway trip (~70 mph, cold engine) I take on a regular basis, I used to average ~25 mpg (ICE only). Now it's ~29 mpg (same driving speed, habits).

There are numerous engine/transmission "optimization" mentions for the recent updates:

Improvement of the engine management system's optimisation.
Improvement of the transmission system's optimisation.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'm running the April update, no issues - https://www.volvocars.com/my/support/article/b863fc0ad77848b5c0a801515970036d

In fact, I've noticed slightly better ICE efficiency on short highway trips (cold engine). On a short 5 mile highway trip (~70 mph, cold engine) I take on a regular basis, I used to average ~25 mpg (ICE only). Now it's ~29 mpg (same driving speed, habits).

There are numerous engine/transmission "optimization" mentions for the recent updates:
To get these updates...you have to goto the dealer correct? are they free?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased an XC90 T8 Hybrid in August, 2018 and two days after picking it up the engine light came on. I took it into the shop and was told that they didn't find anything wrong and turned the sensor off. Two days later the light went on again. This time they kept the car for 8 days and changed the fuel filler. Worked fine until 4/19 engine light came on again. This time they kept it for 4 days and changed the thermostat. Then engine light and Hybrid System Failure light came on in May, 2018 and this time they kept the car for 11 days and replaced the ERAD system. Since then the car doesn't drive the same and has a hesitation/strange gear shifty sound when accelerates from stopped position. Brought it in and tech said there weren't any codes although he said he sensed car seemed shifty from Pure to Hybrid mode but since no codes nothing he could do. Also the was shaking on braking (which has been an ongoing issue since I purchased the car). Was told in the past that the car is heavy and that it's normal for the car to take longer to stop as I had to apply a great deal of pressure to stop the car which didn't seem normal. Anyway, after ERAD was replaced tech said that the shaking was due to pad transfer on rear rotors and replaced them. My question is whether the ERAD and brake/rotor issues were connected and if the shifty feeling from Pure to Hybrid is something I should be concerned about despite the car not showing any codes?

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
If there is other dealership nearby, try get a second opinion.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yes, it's Service Action S29926. I think it should be a recall though - I believe on my previous Audi it was a recall.

Either check with your dealer for an update or have a 10mm wrench with you :)
For what it's worth, this is a super minor issue... you definitely don't have to carry a wrench. I had the CEL for a thermostat (its just for the liquid cooled battery). The car drove 100% fine, dealer said not to worry while the part came in. Part came in, it was swapped in a day. I drove with the CEL for a week and not even my fuel economy was affected. A new car "shouldn't" have any issues, but this isn't the issue to make a mountain over a mole hill on.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For what it's worth, this is a super minor issue... you definitely don't have to carry a wrench. I had the CEL for a thermostat (its just for the liquid cooled battery). The car drove 100% fine, dealer said not to worry while the part came in. Part came in, it was swapped in a day. I drove with the CEL for a week and not even my fuel economy was affected. A new car "shouldn't" have any issues, but this isn't the issue to make a mountain over a mole hill on.
Sorry, but I don’t think I was making a mountain here. Was just trying to help in case someone else hits this bug.

If you’re out somewhere and the car doesn’t start...it is an issue. You do need a wrench to disconnect the battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sorry, but I don’t think I was making a mountain here. Was just trying to help in case someone else hits this bug.

If you’re out somewhere and the car doesn’t start...it is an issue. You do need a wrench to disconnect the battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I thought you were saying that the thermostat would leave you stranded, my mistake. I agree, any fluke that leaves you stranded is totally unacceptable. I hope you're having better luck with the car now!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts