SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I copied this over from my post on S40/V50 in case some suspension experts hang out on this site...<p><br>I've had 45 m offset Shuk W22 17x7.5 wheels for a while. They're light, attractive, strong (two-piece with forged outer rim). As some of you know, I did a ton of reading on offset, scrub radius, etc. to see how low of offset was "reasonable" given that I was interested only in performance, not looks. The main goal was to go with 225/45/17 on a rim 7.5 or 8 inches wide. Needless to say, it's hard to find definitive answers. I can only guess that the suspension engineers of Volvo laugh while I scratch my head.<br>So far, it's pretty fun. But I notice, as did tmtalpey, that as I turn to the right, the car very slightly rotates left (or in other words the right side lifts up slightly). That leftward rotation is the counterbalance to the inner, right tire being pressed down (my guess). That's not necessarily bad. In fact, I might be able to make an argument that 1) it means the inner tire gets initially more weight in a turn, helping to distribute the weight, and 2) it means that both cambers are shifted a bit (negative on left, positive on right), biased so that a hard turn would re-straighten out both wheels. In a sense, perhaps it's better for maximum traction.<p>On the other hand, it is a bit disconcerting that the car has this very slight lift. It seems perhaps not "right" that the car may have some extra tilt / lean, and makes me think that 7.5 mm of offset change from stock really was too much. <p>So today, I turned the wheels with the car staying still. Someone saw that indeed the inner side of the car lifted by about 1 cm.<p>- Does anyone have any experience or technical knowledge about this? There are plenty of people with 42 mm offset wheels, maybe even 40 or 38.<p>Another, perhaps better question is<p>- Can anyone else with stock wheels/tires or aftermarket setups turn their wheels full stop and report whether the inner side of the car lifts up at all? Does the outer side of the car tilt down? This will take two people.<p>- Do people with aftermarket wheels notice car tilting in turns (especially noticeable at low to mid speeds)? Does ANYONE out there notice car tilting?!!! <p><br>Bassman<p><br>

1 - 1 of 1 Posts