SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2010 xc60. The car's battery drained a few times and I eventually replaced it after having to jump it off a few times. Every time I jumped the old battery off the car started with no problems. I took it to a battery shop and when they replaced my car battery, it hasn't started since. So, I replaced the starter and the car still won't start. The message center keeps telling me that Car Key Not Found. I checked the immobilizer fuse and it is not blown. My battery powers up the dash, lights and radio. When I push the start/stop button, the starter will not engage at all. It just makes one click and tells me that my car key is not found. I even tried resetting my car's ECM by removing the cables off the battery and locking /relocking my car 5 times to no avail. I bought the car used earlier this year. It was starting and running fine until the battery drained and had to be replaced. I even replaced the batteries in the key fob and tried inserting the fob into the slot below the start/stop button. Tried starting it in neutral. It still won't start and tells me that my key is not found. Has anyone else had this problem? The dealer wants $400 to make a new key, but I am not sure if that is what's wrong with the car. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
783 Posts
How did you start and get the car home after the shop replaced the battery? Did you use remote start or was the fob in the slot? Do you have the second key fob and is it working?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How did you start and get the car home after the shop replaced the battery? Did you use remote start or was the fob in the slot? Do you have the second key fob and is it working?
No. I had to have AAA tow it home. The key that the car is not finding is the only key I have.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Disconnect the car battery for 10 minutes. With the fob nearby, reconnect it and try to lock and unlock the doors using the remote. Then insert the fob and try to start the car. If this doesn’t work your fob may need reprogramming. I haven’t done it on my Volvos, but you may find instructions online. Or check for a specialized locksmith who can do it. Not sure why the dealer would automatically think you need a new key instead of programming, unless they specifically knew the fob could no longer be programmed. Getting a second key is obviously a good idea for circumstances like this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Disconnect the car battery for 10 minutes. With the fob nearby, reconnect it and try to lock and unlock the doors using the remote. Then insert the fob and try to start the car. If this doesn’t work your fob may need reprogramming. I haven’t done it on my Volvos, but you may find instructions online. Or check for a specialized locksmith who can do it. Not sure why the dealer would automatically think you need a new key instead of programming, unless they specifically knew the fob could no longer be programmed. Getting a second key is obviously a good idea for circumstances like this.
You know the dealer is going to get as much out of me as they can and told me that it cannot be reprogrammed. They want $400 for the key.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
They can try to reprogram it, but it would be wise to get a new key anyway. Labor and software cost is the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts