SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys looking for some advice fo my girlfriend. she owns a 2006 s40 i fwd. the car has been acting up lately. this is what happens; turn the car on, turns on fine. then she puts it in reverse and the car dies. for some reason the car wont move at all whenyou put it in reverse, it just dies. it will drive in drive but sometimes the enghine light will come on and the car will be in limp mode. i have no idea what it is and ive taken it to nurmerous shops and they have no idea what it is. I will eventualy have to take it to volvo but im trying to avoid a huge bill! any advice on what this may be would be great. thanks

·
Registered
658 Posts
I'm guessing PEM unless the FPS just went belly-up. What's the mileage? Call Volvo and give them your gf's VIN number on the S40. They should tell you if it qualifies for a PEM (Pump Electronic Module) warranty repair. If this is the problem, have the FPS replaced in the near future. I'm getting a new one myself within the week.

Any other issues this car has exhibited in the past? Stalling in traffic or in the driveway, but still able to be driven a few minutes later after re-starting it, etc.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm guessing PEM unless the FPS just went belly-up. What's the mileage? Call Volvo and give them your gf's VIN number on the S40. They should tell you if it qualifies for a PEM (Pump Electronic Module) warranty repair. If this is the problem, have the FPS replaced in the near future. I'm getting a new one myself within the week.

Any other issues this car has exhibited in the past? Stalling in traffic or in the driveway, but still able to be driven a few minutes later after re-starting it, etc.
called volvo her car was made after what the recall covers so they said it doesnt apply to her VIN. yes thats exactly what is happening it dies randomly while driving but then will turn right back on a second later as if nothing happened. now it has gotten worse where the car wont go in reverse without dying and throwing a code saying restricted enghine or something like that. in other words the car goes into limp mode.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I would ask your local dealership to inquire about the extended warranty. I'm kinda surprised, since this model is a 2006, that it wouldn't be covered. If you do a Volvo S40 PEM Recall, you'll get more information.

Or click this handy link: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Volvo+S40+PEM+Recall

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Here is how I solve my problems with CEL. OH HI, can you check my code auto zone (local car shop). OOOOOHHH its this....(goes online checks possible solutions, starts with cheapest one to repair, or what makes sense).

·
Registered
658 Posts
That's a productive and economical way to do it--I just did this myself but I bought a ScanGaugeII to save myself a few trips and then did a code search--however this kind of a problem can get expensive. He could replace his FPS, but if the PEM hasn't been replaced...the problem could still remain as the PEM symptoms are like the FPS symptoms. I'd rather spend the $150+ normally spent for an FPS, and put it towards replacing the PEM as it has a rather bad history of going bad. I'd probably say around $450, including labor. I'd hate to see the FPS get replaced and then the same problems happen.

But I'll agree, let's get some codes from a local Auto Zone or some place that will scan at no charge, and the compare them to what's on this forum and elsewhere.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts