SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I have a 2017 V60 Polestar (rebel blue) and I have a question. Whenever I make a tight turn (into a parking space or driveway) the can will sometimes hop or skip. Sometimes it is so bad it feels like I ran over a large stick. Or it could be a subtle hopping feeling in the tires. It happens when going forward or backing up and only when the wheel is turned to lock or almost to lock.

I brought it into the dealership and they found nothing wrong but flashed the car because it was out of date.

I was thinking it was a differential issue but I am not sure.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've never had that experience and I have the exact same model as you.

Does the issue still reproduce after all the updates applied by the dealer?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never had that experience and I have the exact same model as you.

Does the issue still reproduce after all the updates applied by the dealer?
It still occurs. It didn't for a while but has started again. Also, after they flashed my car, the auto stop-start function is no longer working. It just says unavailable. I got it to start working for a little while after the flash by going into the menu and "checking" on it's status.

It is a very weird issue. I just drove to lunch and the car felt like it was rolling over the sidewalls of the tires in slow parking lot maneuvers. The tires are filled properly and have 7/32 of tread left.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Wheel skip when turning is alignment related. Your front wheels aren't tracking perfectly as the car turns and is scrubbing to keep up.
I had your issue when I first got my car that came with toe-out alignment from the factory. Toe-in is the recommended alignment for these cars due to the difference in tracking radius when turning.

Did you just buy the car? If you are still within the first year of ownership, your car is under the adjustment period where you can warranty issues like these as a defect from the factory.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wheel skip when turning is alignment related. Your front wheels aren't tracking perfectly as the car turns and is scrubbing to keep up.
I had your issue when I first got my car that came with toe-out alignment from the factory. Toe-in is the recommended alignment for these cars due to the difference in tracking radius when turning.

Did you just buy the car? If you are still within the first year of ownership, your car is under the adjustment period where you can warranty issues like these as a defect from the factory.

I was thinking something similar when this started. I had the car aligned and the toe was "in spec" according to Autobahn Volvo in Ft Worth. They said the Polestar is a V60 "E" chassis type.

They are:
left front .10
right front .13
left rear .14
right rear .16

Total toe:

Front .23
Rear .30

·
Registered
375 Posts
I was thinking something similar when this started. I had the car aligned and the toe was "in spec" according to Autobahn Volvo in Ft Worth. They said the Polestar is a V60 "E" chassis type.

They are:
left front .10
right front .13
left rear .14
right rear .16

Total toe:

Front .23
Rear .30
I wish I knew enough automotive mathematics to help you in this scenario. If you're looking for a suggestion, put the rear into a more neutral toe alignment.

I have a very neutral alignment right now (see below) and the tires doesn't skip in most scenarios; however its obvious its under some degree of stress as any bumps (like turning into the driveway with a slight curb) will immediately bump steer the car in opposite directions as each tire hits the bump. So far anyone I've consulted with tells me its a natural consequence of wide tires that lack flexibility (low profile).

·
Registered
94 Posts
What are the temps where you are? What tires are you using?

This can happen when you are using high performance/summer tires in combination with colder temps. This is most likely what it is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the stock Michelin Pilot tires. I am located in DFW so it hasn't been too cold here recently. I haven't noticed the temp making a big difference. It was happening when we had upper 60's the other day. My car also started to have the auto stop/start say unavailable no matter what the load on the engine or the outside temperature. Weird things are happening now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine does this. My driveway pavement goes from textured to untextured and when I hit that change at full wheel lock it does that bump. I have recently had the alignment done at volvo dealer as well so I think it is just the way it is with those wide tires.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My car also started to have the auto stop/start say unavailable no matter what the load on the engine or the outside temperature. Weird things are happening now.
I had that problem with a brand new V60 P*. Had to get the battery replaced. Dealership was reluctant to do it, but after coming back twice it was warrantied and done.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I mean I feel like I might just be stating the obvious but you've driven an AWD vehicle on dry payment before, correct? This sometimes happens at tight turns with AWD/4x4 vehicles on dry pavement.
Could also be what these other guys mentioned above but as something not so detailed, it's possible it's just the AWD system working.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've had both these issues on my exact same model. The dealer said my near-ready to replace tires were the cause of the pavement bump and a worn out battery responsibile for the start/stop not working. New tires (2nd pair in about a year of ownership) reduced but not entirely eliminated the steering problem. Warranty replacement of the battery fixed the other.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hello everyone! I have a 2017 V60 Polestar (rebel blue) and I have a question. Whenever I make a tight turn (into a parking space or driveway) the can will sometimes hop or skip. Sometimes it is so bad it feels like I ran over a large stick. Or it could be a subtle hopping feeling in the tires. It happens when going forward or backing up and only when the wheel is turned to lock or almost to lock.

I brought it into the dealership and they found nothing wrong but flashed the car because it was out of date.

I was thinking it was a differential issue but I am not sure.

Any thoughts?
How cold is it outside and are your running your summer tires. I know summer tires in cold weather will skip on slow turns like you described

·
Registered
21 Posts
So I just put on new tires. Gotta love that Costco treadwear warranty. Anyways, the pavement hop is significantly reduced now - still there but nothing like before. The worn tires certainly made the hop more noticeable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts