SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Should this be left on all the time. Is there a charge for the data used?

Jason
No charge for 6 months from purchase. After that they will be sending you paperwork to encourage you to sign-up for a plan. If you don't the service will be shut-off. The plans will have data quotas. If you exceed a quota it kicks into the next level plan.

For me the timing sucks because there is pretty much nothing to use the data plan on at the moment. And all the good apps supposedly are coming in November, right when my 6 months will expire. Oh well.

·
Registered
168 Posts
So what does it use data for now?
navigation?
Weather?
other stuff>

And this is different that the SOS and Volvo Connect options?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
So what does it use data for now?
navigation?
Weather?
other stuff>

And this is different that the SOS and Volvo Connect options?
Navigation doesn't use the modem. Just weather and Here Local search. Or, theoretically you can use it as a hot-spot for your other devices but it's limited to 3G, in my experience the reception is not stronger than my existing portable mobile devices and it's a bad habit to get into anyway since the eventual data plans will be cost prohibitive versus your regular mobile plans.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I am confused. Are you guys located in US? Does it mean that US cars have 6 months of free internal modem? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
I am confused. Are you guys located in US? Does it mean that US cars have 6 months of free internal modem? Thanks
Yes, in the U.S. we get 6 months free data with the internal SIM card in the car, it is thru AT&T here. But it is 3G, no LTE.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I had no idea; I am not sure if it was stated anywhere that we have free internal modem for 6 months. I knew about satellite radio and volvo on call, but not the internal modem. How easy is the set up? You just activate the system from the communication menu? Thank you for the good news.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
In case I'm wrong and it isn't a given 6 months for free, it is at least free for now because pricing hasn't even been announced yet so we just get it for now. Could be wrong but I think it's been free for a while in other volvo models as well that have the feature.

Set up was easy, turn it on from the menu in the car, but I do believe the dealer has to do his part to get certain things set up before pick up. Maybe others know more specific details on all of this.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
My dealer definitely had to do something at delivery to activate the service. Then I turned the modem on the from the settings menu. Even if your dealer didn't say anything they may have done it so I would just try checking the settings menu (Communication I believe) and turning it on.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought my car just barely used. The 6 months on my car has expired before I owned it so I never got to use the On Call app. But Pandora seems to work. It doesn't seem to have the best signal and cuts out. Not sure if it is because I am not on a plan. Anyone else with the 6 months expired still have their modem work?

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
I bought my car just barely used. The 6 months on my car has expired before I owned it so I never got to use the On Call app. But Pandora seems to work. It doesn't seem to have the best signal and cuts out. Not sure if it is because I am not on a plan. Anyone else with the 6 months expired still have their modem work?
Remember you are in the Gen II XC90 forum so no one here, who owns a Gen II xc90, has had their car for 6 months yet. Would be good to hear though from owners of other makes if after 6 months the at&t sim card didn't give free data anymore. I do believe it stays complimentary until official pricing (or whatever deals between Volvo and AT&T are completed) come out.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
As Paradox noted, you must not have a 2016 XC90 as no one has owned for 6 months and no one has Pandora since there is no such app for it yet for this car.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Remember you are in the Gen II XC90 forum so no one here, who owns a Gen II xc90, has had their car for 6 months yet. Would be good to hear though from owners of other makes if after 6 months the at&t sim card didn't give free data anymore. I do believe it stays complimentary until official pricing (or whatever deals between Volvo and AT&T are completed) come out.
All 2015.5 MY Volvos, which are equipped with Sensus Connect, have AT&T 3G modems, like the 2016 XC90s. The six-month trial period has expired on many of these vehicles, including my two V60s, but the 3G service, such as it is, continues to function, more or less. The issue is not so much that Volvo and AT&T have not yet agreed on access and data pricing, but rather that the connectivity is so flaky and inconsistent that no owner would be willing to pay for it in its current state of dysfunction. Volvo/AT&T have had a full year now to get the technology fully functional, with seemingly little progress made to date. I suspect that Volvo got sold a bill of goods by AT&T, but at least Volvo has done the right thing by giving owners a free ride, so to speak, until such time as AT&T can get the technology operative. Stay tuned [sic] for future developments, but you might want to use terrestrial radio or Sirius, since Internet radio stations are unreliable as received. :(

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
All 2015.5 MY Volvos, which are equipped with Sensus Connect, have AT&T 3G modems, like the 2016 XC90s. The six-month trial period has expired on many of these vehicles, including my two V60s, but the 3G service, such as it is, continues to function, more or less. The issue is not so much that Volvo and AT&T have not yet agreed on access and data pricing, but rather that the connectivity is so flaky and inconsistent that no owner would be willing to pay for it in its current state of dysfunction. Volvo/AT&T have had a full year now to get the technology fully functional, with seemingly little progress made to date. I suspect that Volvo got sold a bill of goods by AT&T, but at least Volvo has done the right thing by giving owners a free ride, so to speak, until such time as AT&T can get the technology operative. Stay tuned [sic] for future developments, but you might want to use terrestrial radio or Sirius, since Internet radio stations are unreliable as received. :(
That's interesting because I have noticed that the connectivity is very unreliable. It often takes a long time to get any signal even in areas where I know it is strong and then 6-7 minutes of being parked in the same spot it will suddenly kick in with full bars. My iPhone with AT&T service consistently has better signal.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Thank you all for the suggestions. I changed the direction of the SIM card, pushed it, it clicked, and the system started to work without any problems. I think you need to activate roaming for it to get the signals. I only downloaded the weather software so far. There is also local search and one more (Something related to volvo ID?). Will continue to play more later.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts