SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently, my R is becoming unbearable to drive especially when there are little bumps. I mean the slightest bump will make my car hop in a different direction. I was driving on the freeway and it seemed as if I am losing control of my vehicle while its hopping in mid air....kind of hard to describe.

The car is an 05 S60R automatic, 63k miles, with nothing done to it.

Thanks,

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
are the other R's out there suffering also? any remedies of fixes?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so basically replace bushings in my suspension, control arms, etc.?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
In my stock R I have experienced "side hop" only when making a turn on uneven pavement - the rear seems to jump up and slide over, very disconcerting. I never experienced it again after my TME's and sways went in and rear toe was set to "0". I have read where other users have had bent sways, among other things, that has led to symptoms you described. Here's one thread: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?141932-Side-Hop-and-other-tracking-issues-FIXED If you do search for other threads, be sure to use the "google search" method with "site:forums.swedespeed.com" before your query.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
certain tires are more prone to hop as well

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
OP, sounds like you've had your caR for a while? If so, I'd definitely be looking at rear suspension bushings. A visit to a GOOD alignment shop that can do a true 4 wheel alignment and can look over the suspension bushings, arms, etc and be able to tell you what is going on pretty quickly.

FWIW, I've only ever gotten side hop on mine 2 times, both were on bad pavement, and I was pushing the car pretty hard... it is disconcerting, but it is also something that one encounters with AWD cars. Our Subaru does it a lot worse, to be honest. Of course, it also probably needs new suspension bushings in back, too... LOL

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the replies guys, i'll take it to a shop asap. will keep you guys posted...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Alignment was my issue

As a newer R owner I experienced the same issue.

After blowing through a set of new rear tires in well under 10k miles and after noticing a significant increase in side hop I sent it to the shop for new rubber and alignment.

Seriously like a new car to me. I assumed the hop was relatively when I first purchased the car (used) but didn't realize how nicely it should have driven! I still experience a little hop here and there but let's just say I no longer am forced to avoid man hole covers!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts