SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took yesterday and today off from work. Didn't use the car yesterday but when I went to get in my car to run some errands today, I noticed that someone keyed my car on the driver side.
I also have a couple marks on the trunk and a couple on the passenger side (not as deep however).

Why do people even do this?!?!

Here are the pics (none of the Passenger side yet. Those will come later):

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Re: Car got keyed! (Volvo Grrrr)

I don't know what you can do about that other than repaint those panels, and with blending that is like 1/2 the car. Hopefully your insurance will cover it and you have a low deductible.

Maybe some of them can be buffed out?

http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Car got keyed! (Papa_Kirlo)

This is showing just the driver side and trunk area. I have a small sratch on the front quarter panel and a scratch on the passenger side door. I think those can be buffed out.

The ones in the pictures are deeper than how they look. So I will need a repaint.

My deductible is $300 which is good. But I don't like the idea of getting half the car repainted.

I know a 2 good bodyshops in the area so I'm going to start getting quotes. Munroe Autobody in Watertown and Nicole Autobody in Saugus.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Wow man, as a detailer that hurts to look at. I'm sure they're deeper than they look. I guess if insurance covers it then you're in good shape but that's a lot of painting. At least your car will look terrific when it's done.
Good luck.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts

I would take it to the body shop before you try and buff anything out, maybe the bodyshop will recommend repainting all the effected pannels and that will basically require a full car repaint? http://********************/smile/emthup.gif http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Re: Car got keyed! (Kaizai)

I'm sorry to hear and see that. There are some wretched people out there. In high school someone keyed my windows if you can believe that. They tried to scratch out the VOLVO logos.

I hope you get those scratches resolved quickly and easily!

·
Registered
569 Posts

Man some people need to be knocked out big time.
I am sorry about that man that is a horrible thing that happened to you.
When I used to live in Italy, I lived next to these people that were slow, and they used to key cars, I guess they are here too.

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
Wife's ruby red '04 got keyed in a similar way last year. It was really one of those things that makes you sick at your stomach, literally. Anyway, a shop called "Colors on Parade" was recommened and I made an appointment. Waited about ah hour in the waiting area and when the car pulled around front, I couldn't see any evidence that anything had ever happened to it. Not sure exactly what they did, but it included a paint match just for the area that was scratched and then buffing. Total price was right at $100. It wasn't a re-painting. Now the car has a couple of more places and I plan to take it back to them again. You might look on the internet and see if they have a shop near you.

Edit: Closest one appears is in Hartdale, NY. Don't know how far this is from you. http://www.allpages.com/motori...arade/

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (MadeInJapan)

That suckes, Ron.
We also have people here that do these " scratch removals". Your scratches seem to be long and deep and silver is a tough color but you can try them.
What do you have to lose but $100 or so and I'm not sure if they even charge at all if they can't do the job right
JRL

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
Re: (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »

What do you have to lose but $100 or so and I'm not sure if they even charge at all if they can't do the job right
JRL

Right, that was what I was told too....but after the job I was glad to hand them over the $$ http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Called my insurance agent and boy was she a great help. :unsure: She basically told me to get a few quotes and if it's more than my Comprehensive deductible, file a claim. Well, first quote I got was $2100. Basically it's mostly for labor as they have to remove molding and the lights and crap. Then they want me to buy some new parts (mostly hardware, then the emblems and then all their expense for masking the car). My deductible is $300.

So I'll be filing a claim tomorrow with my insurance company. It sucks but I gotta do it.

The scratch is though the clearcoat and into the base on the driver side. On the passenger side, it looks like it is though the clear coat. Tried to take pictures but they didn't come out at all.

There are 3 of us that park in front of my house. Our upstairs tenant (Subaru Forester), my mom (Jetta Wagon) and myself. The Forester and my car was keyed. I will find out about my mom's car. If hers is keyed, we will be going down to the station and filing another police report. I live down the street from Boston College and up the street from a middle school. So with that in mind, it's either drunk college kids or young kids. However, I bet it's drunk college kids as it was done at night.

Upside is that I can other parts painted and mounted at the same time.

MIJ - NYC is 4/5 hours from me. So NY is out of the question for me.

JRL - I'm not sure if I should even try a scratch removal place. Silver is a tough color to match and it is pretty deep. Insurance will be picking this up. Now while it's in the shop, should I paint the pillars black like you did? Do you think it would look good on a Silver V70R?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (Volvo Grrrr)

Ron,
Make sure that the doors are taken apart, not masked, that's what insurance is for.It sound like for 2K that's what they're doing, but make sure to ask.
As for painting the moldings, that choice is up to you, but with an early car it would just be the pillars themselves not the entire frame like I did, so it's really a simple deal to do
You should get some black 2" tape and try it to see if you like it first

·
Registered
356 Posts

I am sorry to see that, it packs salt into my still fresh wounds... I got my S70 T5 about three weeks ago and after having it for about 6 hours someone backed into it while it was parked at safeway, didn't leave a note, and caused about $2k worth of damage! Its in the shop right now at volvo but do you guys think it will be apparent that there was previous damage and/or paint work?

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I think they will have the doors taken apart. It says "Rpr Door Shell" then "R&I" on housing, handle and trim (among other items). I take that as them taking the door apart.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts