SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be driving every now and then and the car seems to dump boost as if I let off the throttle then picks it self right back up. I only noticed it since I have the EST intake and can here when the car recirc the air.

is this an issue I would get a video but I never know when it will do it.
I want to say its my cbv going out on me but iam sure there are some gurus on here that know better than I

·
Registered
556 Posts
How many miles? Maybe a bad turbo control valve?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
180,000 miles and why do you say the tcv not the cbv ?

·
Registered
556 Posts
It's cheaper and easier to fix. Are you on your stock one? I would change them both out

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I have the Ipd tcv I still have my original stock one somewhere.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Does not sound like CBV to me either. Weak CBV spring or torn diaphragm would tend to show as fluttering when closing the throttle sharply under booost to low or even non existent boost. But it would be a gradual decline constant decline in performance, not an intermittent problem like you are describing.

How many miles on the IPD TCV? From what I have seen both IPD and OEM units can last as little as 60,000 miles before showing signs of wear.

Do you have a boost gauge installed?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I do have a boost gauge and less than 20k on the tcv. I did notice today that if I open the throttle all the way boost spikes at 12psi and settles back down to 7ish

·
Registered
24 Posts
You might want to try and replace the tcv with the oem one see what happens. My old v70 use to do the same I got rid of the IPD tcv and problem went away.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Ditch the IPD TCV, it's garbage.

·
Registered
556 Posts
He's right about the IPD TCV. They just recently changed it. The New one looks exactly like Phuzz TCV. I would just throw the OEM one on. I use it and have no problems at all

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Stock tune?

That would mean 160,000mi on the stocker TCV, I'd order a new one for $60.....but yes, swap them and see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes stock tune and I replaced the original one because it had gone bad and since switching to the IPD one I have not had any issues. Did they do a recall on them or some special offer to get the new one or am i just imagining deals.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Yeah I'd say a new OEM or "redesigned" IPD would be better than either of the two you have now. I think there is a thread on the ipd tcv problems and redevelopment in either the Ask IPD section or the R forum, I believe they are going to be doing some type of exchange program, depending on when you bought it you might be eligible for a new replacement.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I believe found the issue there was a small hole in the vacuum hose that goes to the tcv. I believe that is the problem and have new vacuum hose waiting to be put in. I will still look into replacing the tcv

·
Registered
56 Posts
Before you spend money on parts check the intercooler hose. Mine was cracked (@113K - old news below) and when the engine moved on the mounts from torque you could here what sounded like a loud turbo and boost would go way down. Cinched the tube up a bit past the crack and problem solved. Eventually replaced tube.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts