SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was on my way home from work and car just suddenly quit running and died. Tach sat at 1k rpm even though the car wasn't running. Once I cycled the key the tach reset to 0. Problem now is that the starter just clicks. I tested the battery and it tests good. Took the starter to Oreilys and it tested good. I've checked grounds and they are good. What am I missing?

I still suspect the starter even though Oreilly's tested it and it passed. When I hook it up to a battery with jumper cables and engage the motor, it spins much slower than one would expect.

I should add that I had a bad O2 sensor, which I suspect killed the car as I came to a stop. But can't figure out why it won't crank now.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Any check engine lights on or codes stored? Also, how's your alternator? What year and engine is it?

Does the car crank over at all? Or you turn the key and just nothing happens?

I don't think a bad O2 sensor would cause the car to just die and not start up again. They very rarely just "die". They may become sluggish and perform under par.

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
If you car just died while driving, wouldn't that point to the alternator?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
The altenator though wouldn't die on the spot without sending messages through the cluster. Normally the "clever energy management" will turn off certain things (radio, lights, etc.) and then finally the engine. And the batter would be totally dead.

If the starter clicks and does nothing else but clicks and all other systems fireup, then something is wrong with the engine.

Did any lights come on whilst driving? Say the oil pressure light? Or a hazard light or so?

·
Registered
757 Posts
I was drawn to
Tach sat at 1k rpm even though the car wasn't running. Once I cycled the key the tach reset to 0.
That looks like a software fault to me. I'd get the car on a DiCE / VIDA setup to see what the car thinks.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
The altenator though wouldn't die on the spot without sending messages through the cluster. Normally the "clever energy management" will turn off certain things (radio, lights, etc.) and then finally the engine. And the batter would be totally dead.
Not that this solves the current issue, but when my alternator died this wasn't (exactly) my experience. I didn't get any warning lights until seconds before complete failure. After that, I had no ability to do anything and didn't even get a clicking at startup.

I'm guessing this is electrical and I'm starting to wonder if a fuse wasn't blown by a discharging alternator, or whatever. Check the fuse panel first and see if anything is blown.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had no light on the dash. At this point all I hear from the starter is the solenoid engaging, no cranking whatsoever. I have spun the engine by hand and it spins just fine. I've checked under hood fuses. Are there any starter related fuses in the cabin? Everything else electrically seems to work just fine. I do have "STC spin control off" message on the DIC though

Prior to this I did have engine codes that related to the exhaust cam being advanced (which I corrected) and a code related to the bad O2 sensor (also fixed now after the fact). I'm a bit puzzled at this point, but I still think it's the starter even though it passed the test at Orelliy's.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so to sum this up in the cliff's note version:

Battery tested good
Starter tested good
Motor spins by hand
Starter only clicks
No dash lights
STC spin control message dispayed in DIC

I have a new starter on the way. I still think that is the problem.

·
Registered
386 Posts
This happened to me when my alternator finally went out so I'm another vote for alternator. If you can jump the car and get it started simply use a voltage reader to read the charging voltage, if it's under 13 you definitely have a problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys, I appreciate the alternator suggestion and while I agree that the alternator could have been the possible cause for it suddenly dying in traffic, it doesn't explain why the starter won't crank with a fully charged know good battery. One thing I've learned the short period of time I have owned the car, is that it has enough fuses and relays for two cars.

Yes I have tried jumping the car as well with no luck. Still the same clicking.

I got my hands on an electrical diagram and there is evidently yet another fuse related to the starter on the positive battery cable (I think it was referenced as PF1). Only looked at it real briefly last night but can't really see if you can tell if it's blown or not. I'll spend some more time on it today. Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
^^Yes, but a bad starter does not suddenly make your car stall while driving, only an alternator would do that...or maybe your car has succumbed to both problems. Also, if you try to crank your starter non-stop it will most definitely melt it.
Yes. That's what I was trying to say. I hope that it's just the starter for you! But it makes no sense for the car to completely die and stop while in drive if it's the starter. Hopefully there aren't any further electrical issues lingering.

Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I haven't checked the alternator yet. Bad alternator or not, the starter should at least crank the engine and it's not. I'm trying to figure that out first.
Was the starter doing anything? Maybe it wasn't getting power. Check the leads with a voltmeter to make sure before you take it out. That could help you isolate an electrical problem, then work backwards.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
12.6V resting voltage. Under load (headlights, car on, other accessories) closer to 14.5V.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Also, if you're trying to chase down issues you can look up how do perform a battery leak down test and there some videos that explain the topic. I found it helpful in trying to help insure issues indeed existed with the alternator vs. the battery.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update:

I have now replaced the starter....no change. Still just one click and lights dim
I have tried with a known good battery..same results as above
I have inspected battery cables and see no issues
I have tried rowing through the gears...no change
I removed the starter relay...nothing happens....replace relay, back to just 1 click
I will be putting a ohm meter on the starter to see if it's getting the required juice. Even though the battery cable looks ok, I'm starting to suspect internal oxidation

I'll report back

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.