SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

So disappointed, but am pretty sure that my car was delivered to me with the premium sound system and not the Harmon Kardon system the sales and website told me I was getting.

Is this something they can, or even I would want changed after delivery? Nightmares of rattling dash, doors, etc.

Wondering how this is going to play out when the dealer realizes this..

Any suggestions on how I should approach this?

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Hi Guys,

So disappointed, but am pretty sure that my car was delivered to me with the premium sound system and not the Harmon Kardon system the sales and website told me I was getting.

Is this something they can, or even I would want changed after delivery? Nightmares of rattling dash, doors, etc.

Wondering how this is going to play out when the dealer realizes this..

Any suggestions on how I should approach this?
I dont know if it can be retrofitted, but chances are they wont do it anyway without you paying for it, because if it wasnt on the window sticker, you didnt pay for it at time of purchase. Most websites have a disclaimer about mistakes, and the sales guy will deny ever saying it had the HK. You may get some swag or something, but ultimately its on you to know what your buying.

·
Registered
510 Posts
If you specified this and did not get it, they screwed up big time. Not sure how things are in your country but if it's their fault in giving you the "wrong" car, they should be able to work with you on something. Adding it in after the fact is not going to be a something they can do though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have it in writing that the car came with the HK system. Unfortunately, there is no sticker on the car in Thailand like in the USA. The sales person during delivery told me its the HK sound system in front of everyone... yea, i think they screwed up.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Contact Volvo (not the dealer) with the VIN and ask for that build sheet. It is the master record of what was put in the car at the factory and at the port.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Service dept can printout what you car is and what options it came with.

·
Administrator
55,934 Posts
If the dash does not have the HK logo, it most likely was not installed.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
chris: isn't there a premium sound badge on the center stack also? Like the 70-series currently have, right below the CD slot. Hard to miss in that case.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I have it in writing that the car came with the HK system. Unfortunately, there is no sticker on the car in Thailand like in the USA. The sales person during delivery told me its the HK sound system in front of everyone... yea, i think they screwed up.
In that case they have to make it right. IIRC, you said there is a limited supply of these cars in Thailand, so I would take some kind of refund. I wouldnt want my limited availability, new, luxury car to be torn apart, when there is little chance of replacement.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
In the USA, before they offered the Harman/Kardon speakers were introduced the premium system was simply labeled "premium sound". Funny thing.....the base system has the same speakers as the "premium sound". Only difference is the center channel speakers, Dolby Pro Logic II software and the higher-wattage amplifier. What I'm getting at is is may not be necessary to "tear apart the car" to fix the mistake....just a few changes and you have a premium system. You can verify this by looking in the parts catalog. Now we know why the standard sound system is really pretty good on sound....it does have some high quality speakers, just not the high output amp.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In the USA, before they offered the Harman/Kardon speakers were introduced the premium system was simply labeled "premium sound". Funny thing.....the base system has the same speakers as the "premium sound". Only difference is the center channel speakers, Dolby Pro Logic II software and the higher-wattage amplifier. What I'm getting at is is may not be necessary to "tear apart the car" to fix the mistake....just a few changes and you have a premium system. You can verify this by looking in the parts catalog. Now we know why the standard sound system is really pretty good on sound....it does have some high quality speakers, just not the high output amp.
Hi, and thanks for the info. The premium sound system is not bad, and I'm not complaining about it at all. And no way I want them tearing apart the car to replace this system, what a disaster that would be. Imagine a brand new car opened up like that, it will make some many noises and rattle after that. My main point is that the sales reps (two of them) told me it was and in this market they are your best source of information before taking possession of the car, and the website http://www.volvocars.com/th/cars/new-models/v60 says it is. It's what I was paying for, and expected. I'm giving them time to figure out the whole story, and come up with a way to make this right with me. I would be surprised if I didn't get an update next week.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
For what it's worth "tearing apart your new car" is something I have a lot of experience with....I worked for Volvo and dealt with difficult service issues as my primary role. I wouldn't be too upset about "tearing apart" your car.....as stated bellow, shaping out an amp and snapping in two dash speakers may be all that's required to upgrade the car's system, and that's very straight forward. Replacing speakers is very easy, just take of the door panels. A good tech can handle that with zero issues with a "factory-like" install in terms of quality. I know people feel strongly about not having a car "torn apart" when new, but trust me....a lot of that sentiment is just hypothetical, and the reality is a car can have major surgery and be equally well put together than from the factory. In fact, it's not uncommon to be even higher quality, as the tech is meticulous and double checks everything, unlike the factory working that sometimes gets into a mundane state of mind on the line. Often when we tear apart a car substantially we find something loose or not fitted correctly from he factory, and it goes back together even better.

I hope you receive resolution. The standard system is indeed not to bad. But the DPL II add a lot as well as the amp for some music listeners.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For what it's worth "tearing apart your new car" is something I have a lot of experience with....I worked for Volvo and dealt with difficult service issues as my primary role. I wouldn't be too upset about "tearing apart" your car.....as stated bellow, shaping out an amp and snapping in two dash speakers may be all that's required to upgrade the car's system, and that's very straight forward. Replacing speakers is very easy, just take of the door panels. A good tech can handle that with zero issues with a "factory-like" install in terms of quality. I know people feel strongly about not having a car "torn apart" when new, but trust me....a lot of that sentiment is just hypothetical, and the reality is a car can have major surgery and be equally well put together than from the factory. In fact, it's not uncommon to be even higher quality, as the tech is meticulous and double checks everything, unlike the factory working that sometimes gets into a mundane state of mind on the line. Often when we tear apart a car substantially we find something loose or not fitted correctly from he factory, and it goes back together even better.

I hope you receive resolution. The standard system is indeed not to bad. But the DPL II add a lot as well as the amp for some music listeners.
Hi and thank you for the info. It's great to hear your perspective, clearly it's coming from a lot of experience. So if they do decide to offer me the upgrade, I might not feel so uncomfortable after knowing how well it can be handled. I know that Volvo Thailand is waiting on feedback from Sweden at this point, and so I am just being patient for the moment.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts