Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What to do first? The car:

1. Starts fine.
2. Warms up.
3. I turn it off..
4. It will crank, but not start.
5. Probably WILL start when it cools down, maybe. Need to see. Waiting on it now...

Code read is P0118.

Thermostat?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
•P0118 Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit High Input

Coolant temp sensor

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
•P0118 Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit High Input

Coolant temp sensor
JRL, do you think that is the CTS is replaced that it will stop the "will not start when it is hot" nonsense?

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Makes sense because the coolant temp sensor isn't telling the ECU the correct temperature of the engine. Your local Autozone should stock this sensor, if you want one quick and want to rule it out.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Hey Guys.

I just wanted to pass along a big 'thanks' for the info on this thread, it helped me greatly yesterday when I experienced almost the same exact issue with my 98' S70 T5.

I was having a couple mornings of 'rough starts', then yesterday morning I started 'er up and noticed the fan kicked on almost immediately and kept cycling randomly on/off. The temp gauge went 'goofy' for a few minutes, and then the CEL came on. I read the code(s) and got a p0116, followed by repeated p0118s.

I ordered a replacement Coolant Temp Sensor, along with a new thermostat (despite mine only being ~2 years old) and a new rubber gasket. I put those babies in, topped off the coolant and viola!

This is why SS is the best Volvo forum out there. Big thumbs up to you guys!

Take care.

Gregg

·
Registered
637 Posts
Glad you solved your problem but you probably just gave half the forum a heart attack by reviving this thread. ;)

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Haha. I couldn't click fast enough. The Burger King picture was one of the best parts. That kept me entertained when I was on the road that whole summer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts