SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to purchase a car cover for my 07 R ..... does anyone have a recommendations ?

·
3,971 Posts
NO NO NO NO

Car covers are the bane of all bad paint defects.

Wash it, Clay it, Polish it, then coat it with optimum Gloss coating. The coating will protect it 100X better then any cover will.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NO NO NO NO

Car covers are the bane of all bad paint defects.

Wash it, Clay it, Polish it, then coat it with optimum Gloss coating. The coating will protect it 100X better then any cover will.
I agree....but I live in NYC now and am storing the R in the CT garage for the winter...this is more so people/random stuff don't bump into the car and mess up the body/paint

·
3,971 Posts
I would say fine cotton sheets. Car covers are too heavy imo, use a bunch or over sized towels then throw them out at the end of the end of the winter.

·
2,523 Posts
Im planning on makn a wooden frame and using old sheets so the paint is never touched. If you have a miter saw or something you can make it in an hour. Im gona polish it in Spring anyway but it'l lessen the work

·
Registered
2,045 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
I bought a super cheap and lightweight cover from china that fits well and keeps the bird poop and leaves off the car.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Duststop from california car cover company. We have those for the 56 ford, 02 911, and used it for the s60r with good results.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I would say fine cotton sheets. Car covers are too heavy imo, use a bunch or over sized towels then throw them out at the end of the end of the winter.
Yes, Yes, Yes... to covers, NEVER cotton sheets... cotton holds moisture, definitely not good for paint.

I got mine from here xtremecoverproplatinum on ebay after researching what the must have features a cover should have. Needs to be made with poly so it does not hold moister. Be specific, indoor vs outdoor cover. I store my R at a storage facility that is good but not "premium" so it is dustier that a ultra new place. I've used this cover for 2 years now and it comes out in spring just perfect.

Several other things: As per "The Driver", was, dry and wax it first. Then:
1. over inflate the tires (say 40 to 45 psi); remove the wipers or put a block of wood/plastic under the wiper arms to take the weight off the blades;
2. full load of fresh UN-oxygenated gas (best not to store with e85 if avoidable)and/or Stabil; Drive it long enough to be sure the e85 is out of the fuel lines and injectors.
3. disconnect the battery or a battery tender (I disconnect, resets some things in the various computers but it relearns them quick enough in the spring). Remember: if you close the trunk lid tight, you will have to manually unlock the trunk with your key... (if the battery is disconnected.);
4. get some descant packets to place in the caR to absorb moisture (from Amazon ~$14).
5. Stainless steel wool to stuff in the tail pipe/tip to keep critters out.
6. Ultimately (I have not done this but considering) use Evans water-less engine coolant.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts