SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery exploded when I started my car, which had been serviced almost a week ago at the dealer. I brought my car to the dealer and they said the reason that my battery exploded because it is too old. However, according to the report after the routine maintenance my battery is “OK.” I don't think this is a valid explanation...Old batteries die, not explode. I believe the dealer's technicians damaged it somehow during the service. Any idea please? Thank you very much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,888 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by silvereye:<BR><B>My battery exploded when I started my car, which had been serviced almost a week ago at the dealer. I brought my car to the dealer and they said the reason that my battery exploded because it is too old. However, according to the report after the routine maintenance my battery is “OK.” I don't think this is a valid explanation...Old batteries die, not explode. I believe the dealer's technicians damaged it somehow during the service. Any idea please? Thank you very much.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Wow! That's something new! I've never heard of a battery explode. I've heard of batteries leak and die, but not explode. You might want to get the whole electrical system of the car checked out. Who knows what else the battery might have friend. At least you are ok. I wouldn't want to be sitting in the car with the battery exploding. Good luck. Let us know what happens.<BR>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,332 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by silvereye:<BR><B>My battery exploded when I started my car, which had been serviced almost a week ago at the dealer. I brought my car to the dealer and they said the reason that my battery exploded because it is too old. However, according to the report after the routine maintenance my battery is “OK.” I don't think this is a valid explanation...Old batteries die, not explode. I believe the dealer's technicians damaged it somehow during the service. Any idea please? Thank you very much.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>thats scary!! you should have the whole car checked by them and explain that OLD batteries dont do that. if they refuse and want to charge.. legal action is in place.. who knows what further damage was done by their tampering with the battery...<P>dealer mechanics make mistakes.. if they are too lazy to pay for it to fix it.. they are going to have to face the legal system. no way would your battery EVER explode from getting old. <BR>
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,997 Posts
While batteries exploding is not common, it does happen and it can happen for several reasons.<P>I called a friend to verify this as I know it happens but I wanted to figure out all the reasons, and I figured he'd have an opinion.<P>First it can happen when the battery is exposed to extreme temps (hot or cold).<P>Second, it can happen if a battery is being charged at a higher rate than it is intended to be charged. This can usually be attributed to a faulty voltage regulator on the alternator that has gone bad.<P>Third, if the battery runs dry (a battery has distilled water in it), and it continues to be recharged, then it could also explode. This was probably the check your dealer performed.<P>Last, if there is a crack in the battery's casing due to defect or damage, if you disconnect and then reconnect, the spark that happens could cause the explosion also.<P>It is possible that your car received electrical damage in the explosion. I'd also check all the areas that were exposed to battery acid. It'll eat through the paint where it landed, and quite possibly through other stuff as well (wire jackets?). It's possible that your dealer missed something, but it's also possible it was something that wasn't checked in a regular service. I don't know if that Voltage regulator on the alternator is included in your check or not, but you may want to have that checked as a possible cause. <P>Another clue might be the condition of the battery casing, but even if it is damaged, you'll have a tough time proving it was damaged prior to the explosion given what happened.<P>I'd have another dealer/mechanic look at the car and do an independent view of it. That'll cost you more money possibly, but you'll get an unbiased opinon of what might have happened (i.e. they're not trying to protect themselves from liability). <P>I'm going to guess though that it'd be very tough to prove they are fully liable, though you might get them to discount the repair or just give you decent money on the car to trade it on another.<P>Also, check with your insurance company. I have no idea if that'd be covered, but you never know.<P>The above is just my opinion, so take it as you will, but it is a little background info for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
516 Posts
I have had that happen to me two years ago. I had gone to Bookstop with my father in his 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan. We had been out and about all day in the the middle of June in Houston. When we were leaving Bookstop at around six or seven that evening we got in the car my father tried to start the engine and it hestitated just for half a second and then BAM! I heard the explosion, bailed and ran like he11. I thought that someone had put a bomb on the car that had failed to go off in its intended fashion. I had just been in Paris that year and have a record of near misses with bombs in the metro and other terrorist threats every time I visit. Anyway after I began running I realized how silly I was, nothing ever happens in houston, and walked back. It definitely was the summer heat that made the battery go. We had the car checked out afterwards and not much acid leaked from the immediate area but left one huge scorch mark on the bottom of the hood! The heat was probably the culprit but may have been helped along by the idiots at your garage. By the way great post George.<P>-Poritz<p>[This message has been edited by Poritz (edited 07-22-2002).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW, my car is a Toyota Camry...so much for the Toyota reliability. I brought my car back to the dealer and they fixed it for $150 CAD. I am not pleased with their explanation reading old batteries might blow up, and I think I am going to file an official complain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Batteries can also blow if the breather pipe is blocked. Happened to me on a motorcycle years ago.<P>Not sure if modern cars batteries have a breather though.<P>
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,433 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vetteguy:<BR><B>Batteries can also blow if the breather pipe is blocked. Happened to me on a motorcycle years ago.<P>Not sure if modern cars batteries have a breather though.<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yeah, I too really only have experience with motorcycle batteries. My Suzuki RG used to eat a battery every year. My dads harley had a faulty regulator and when he pulled into the garage all I could smell was sulphur. The thing was cooked! Didn't explode though. We put the volt meter on the hook-ups and was reading 15.someodd volts instead of 12-13V. I guess a higher charge could blow it up. Another thing about motorcycle batteries is that you have to back off the breather screws when charging or you'll get a pressure build up. My guess here is that it was overcharging or ran dry and the pressure went skyhigh on a hot day. Boom! <BR>BTW, George, exellent post. I think you may have covered it!<P>
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top