SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so my car is at the dealer and I am still having a problem with a "thumping" noise that is created during lane changes and on on/off ramps to highways. The service dept has determined that it is not the hub bearing or the cv joints (those were my best guesses). Also I am getting a bad vibration through the steering column when I brake, from anything above 30mph but no excessive feedback in the pedal. Does anyone know what these issues could be? I don't know if this is a faulty steering column or maybe it's just loose and needs tightening but I am out of probable causes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Re: Car at Dealer, Service Dept Needs Suggestions! (Vipergtsz3)

Does it happen only on 1 side (like a lane change from left to right only or does the "thump" occur in both directions?<p>If it is just 1 side, it may be a bad ball joint but the dealer should have picked that up as soon as the car went up on the rack. if it occuring on both sides it could be a more significant steering issue.<p>Also, from you description it can be inferred that the "thump" was isolated to the front of the car - are you sure it is not the rear? Could be rear suspension related (like links or bushings) Just a thought...

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts

Bump noise = broken upper strut mount. Should be easy enough to fault-trace.<p>Vibration in steering wheel when braking = warped front rotors, also easy enough to fault-trace.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Car at Dealer, Service Dept Needs Suggestions! (R Salesman)

Well the problem gets a little worse. The steering noise happens when turning in either direction and the rotors were replaced, so hopefully that takes care of the steering chatter, but the thumping continues. I was told it is not the ball joint, cv joint or the wheel bearings. Next on the list is looking into the steering column itself I guess. The thumping occurs all the time, and more pronounced when turning, not just over bumps so I don't think it is the suspension. <p> I usually thought that warped rotors were accompanied by some brake pedal sensation or excess feedback but who knows. I just wish I had the car back, this is going on day 3 with my loaner. At least the dealer had loaners available though.

·
Registered
2005 V70R, Midnight Blue, M66
2,124 Posts

Is the steering at limit when this occurs, or just any moderate steering input?<p>Have they checked the steering rack mounting bolts? <p>What work has been done to the car recently, and did any of these issues occur right after the work was done? Sounds like the rotors were replaced, are you convinced everything was assembled properly? <p>Have you or another driver hit a curb recently? That type of damage should be seen easily. <p>Any spring work been done recently? Are the springs properly oriented in their perch?<p>The suggestion of a broken top shock mount would have been my first guess as has been suggested here and it sounds like the dealer has dismissed that. <p>At this juncture I would suspect problems in the mounting of the steering rack, and/or the rack itself. There is a diagnostic suite to run on the ZF steering, I assume that has been done.<p>

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: (Copeland)

Did they check this TNN?<p><A HREF="http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Volvo/1146639600000_1148626800000_TNN64-21/211.html" TARGET="_blank">http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Vol....html</A>

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts

I've still got 10 bucks on the upper strut mounts.

·
Premium Member
9,305 Posts
Re: Car at Dealer, Service Dept Needs Suggestions! (R Salesman)

That, or tie rod end.<p>Tom.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (Copeland)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Copeland</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How many miles do you have on your R?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>I have 28K on my R at the moment.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Car at Dealer, Service Dept Needs Suggestions! (rogersampson)

I'll try asking them about these things when I bring it in again. They just gave me back the car since I now need it for some traveling. The Service Dept's stand at the moment is that they will have a regional rep look at it in a few weeks when he is in again, at that point I'll ask about the TNN posted and the other possibilities. They keep assuring me that it's not the suspension but I have a feeling that they are just dismissing it without proper analysis. Well now here's hoping for a solution.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts

Loose/broken/missing swaybar bushing??<br>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts