SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving down the road at about 60mph when i downshifting since a light was approaching soon. The car backfired, harder than usual and then the headlights went out along with the music. The car started to loose power and i coasted to a stop where it shut off. I let it sit for a few minutes while i examined it. Being im away at college i had to get the car back to campus and as the same goes for most i am a broke college student and did not want to pay for a tow truck. The car started and i drove the few miles back to campus. Problem is the car wouldn't go above 2k rpm's and was crawling not even producing enough power to shift into second gear. I was pulled over on the way back which i guess allowed the car to reboot itself being he had me shut it off. When i turned the car back on it drove normally with the exception of the air going on and off and the lights not working. When i went to test the car again it went back into that limp mode. I bought an OBX down-pipe for the car and was hoping to put it on this weekend but this is really gumming up the works. When i plugged my roommates scanner into the car it didn't read any codes except for a throttle code. Any help would be appreciated ill try and plug the scanner in again and post the exact code.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had similar issue with my T5, it backfired harder then normal, it turned out to be the rubber pipe in that goes from the intercooler to the plastic pipe ove the engien, that got off, we had replaced it and not tighten it to hard, as we where afrid to crack the plastic pipe, so it went loose, we just tighten it a bit harder and then it worked again..

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
So I guess you now know what limp mode feels like. The hose btw the turbo and charge air pipe has a tendency to get overlooked, but from what I hear, it will split and will close right back up when the engine is off. the fact that you lost lights and accessories would have me checking the battery and alternator as well..

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update, after checking the engine bay in daylight i noticed the pipe going from the radiator had both of its screws missing. I noticed battery acid around and on the battery so i replaced it. The car starts right up but when i gave it a little gas to take it for a ride both headlights again blew out. The air goes on and off on its own as does the defroster? So confused now.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Free bump.

I just don't have any real experience with electrical issues like this. I've been lucky.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts