SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For all the Tapatalk users out there who don’t see my signature I drive a 2005 S60 2.5T AWD. We’ve been together 6.5 years now and I love it like one of my own.

I’ll be going on a 1000 mile trip soon and would like to know that the car is up for the ride before getting stranded between rest stops. Anyone have an idea of what could be going on here?

Here are the issues I’ve had since yesterday:

1a) Yesterday morning I started it up and was met with an “immobilizer - see manual” message. I began researching a bit from the driver’s seat and the car went to a lifeless 100% state of being off with no power or response to anything. I disconnected the battery’s negative terminal and reconnected it and that problem was solved.

2) Then last night I was driving home at ~65mph and out of nowhere my car jerked/lurched and all the gauges’ needles did a quick bounce to 0/empty and back after what felt like a bump in the road.

1b) When I got home I went into the trunk to fetch and install the door stop I picked up at the junkyard earlier, and when I shut the trunk the car went 100% dead again. I popped the trunk using the key hole and disconnected/reconnected the battery’s negative terminal, then tightened the securing nut as much as I could thinking that must have been the problem. I haven’t had the spontaneous death problem or immobilizer message since.

3) Then this morning as I was going ~60mph my check engine light went on and the car started to do a full-body vibrate like I was cruising on rumble strips. Once I slowed to a crawl and then accelerated to 60 again the problem was gone but check engine light was still on.

4) I’ve also noticed a high pitch noise coming from the front right wheel area, almost like a mosquito. It comes and goes, at rest and at speed. No clue what that could be about.

Some background:

I’ve taken the car into my local shop for an intermittent check engine light (engine system service required) and had the codes read, my guy said whatever components that the codes pertained to (pcv?) looked good and there were no real problems that he could find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Any new codes related to the latest CEL?

The immobilizer issue could be related to the UEM, which handles the security functions. It could have gotten into a flaky state, which the battery disconnect/reconnect fixed. If the UEM fails, then it's a pricey trip to the dealer.

I had the relay for the ECM get flaky on mine. Stopped the car dead.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any new codes related to the latest CEL?

The immobilizer issue could be related to the UEM, which handles the security functions. It could have gotten into a flaky state, which the battery disconnect/reconnect fixed. If the UEM fails, then it's a pricey trip to the dealer.

I had the relay for the ECM get flaky on mine. Stopped the car dead.

Here’s a list of the codes i just read:

Ccm
Passenger compartment temperature sensor signal too high / missing

DDM
Door mirror potentiometer. Faulty signal
(Recently swapped for 07+ mirrors)

Pdm
Outside temperature sensor. Signal too high
(Recently swapped for 07+ mirrors)

Uem
Sun roof. Communication fault
Siren. Communication faulty

(The alarm doesn’t make noise)

Cem
1a64
Communication with the differential electronic module (DEM). Signal missing
1a53
Communication with the passenger door module (PDM). Signal missing
1a52
Communication with the driver door module (DDM). Signal missing
Aum
46fe
10 disc CD changer. Faulty installation. Intermittent fault
(Grom unit installed)

Ecm
120d
Intake air temperature (IAT) sensor. Faulty signal
Mass air flow. Signal missinf
Mass air flow. Signal too low
121b
Mass air flow (MAF) sensor. Flow too low
EGR valve. Signal too high
EGR valve. Signal too low
Fuel level sensor. Faulty signal
Gas system. Fuel shut-off valve, retardation
Gas system. Stepper motor, faulty signal
140d
Outside temperature sensor. Signal too low

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Not much to go on. The MAF signal missing is a bit concerning. But, you can disconnect the MAF and your car will still run.

Maybe someone else has more insight.

·
Registered
315 Posts
You are getting multiple fault messages from multiple locations in the car. Since you have owned the car for 6.5 years, and you don't mention any flooding event, I am inclined to think that your wiring harness is OK. You mention that some fault messages happen when you go over a bump in the road, or when you close the trunk lid. I think you are on the right track, checking ground connections and (+) connections is a good place to start.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Start with seeing if the battery is ok. Had weird issues even when the battery tested ok. But once replaced with a new battery the issues went away. Sometimes the car doesnt do well with almost dead batteries.

Check your alarm under the passenger fender. When the battery leaks it can cause many weird issues- one of them being your sunroof. It doesnt have to make any noise to be bad.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
I was driving home this afternoon and was coasting up to a stoplight at about 45 MPH. The light changed and I started to accelerate slowly. The car gave 3-4 hard jerks, and then ran fine. I thought it was going to die right there. No CEL. Put the OBDII scanner on it when I got home looking for pending faults. No faults found. This felt harder than the typical misfire.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Check your ECM/TCM fan located in the box that secures them. It should be quiet when running. Use a stethescope probe on it. If it ain't working cooling the computers,all kinds of codes,Dim messages,and drive ability issues can happen. Especially in hot weather. But by all means,also check your grounds.

·
Registered
16,810 Posts
That's your car messing with your head: "Do you love me? Do you love me?!? Are you sure??"
No warnings on mine this morning. It's happy in cooler temps for sure. Where is the ECM/TCM fan located? Image?
I was driving home this afternoon and was coasting up to a stoplight at about 45 MPH. The light changed and I started to accelerate slowly. The car gave 3-4 hard jerks, and then ran fine. I thought it was going to die right there. No CEL. Put the OBDII scanner on it when I got home looking for pending faults. No faults found. This felt harder than the typical misfire.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
That's your car messing with your head: "Do you love me? Do you love me?!? Are you sure??"
No warnings on mine this morning. It's happy in cooler temps for sure. Where is the ECM/TCM fan located? Image?
Yeah, something like that!

The ECM/TCM fan is right before the box that houses them. It might be on the inlet to the box.

·
Registered
16,810 Posts
Oh, right - this one (generic online pic - not mine).

Yeah, something like that!
The ECM/TCM fan is right before the box that houses them. It might be on the inlet to the box.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
The fan is located directly under the P/S reservoir and feeds into the ECM/TCM box. You'll know when it's running as it can be loud, and you can hear it from inside the car. The fan can run both with the car on and the car off, just depending on the temp insider of the box and in the engine bay. It doesn't always run though, just temp dependant. You'll only hear it if it's running and the car is off.

I'd check the engine grounds like mentioned. Also if you're reading you car through VIDA I'd clear all faults and see what ones remain afterwards. Most modules can be fixed through XemodeX, so that always am option if a module happens to be bad and faulty.

Sent from my Huawei Mate 9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
4) I’ve also noticed a high pitch noise coming from the front right wheel area, almost like a mosquito. It comes and goes, at rest and at speed. No clue what that could be about.
I had this buzzing noise in the right fender on my XC70, even when the car was off. It was the alarm module. It was also draining my battery. I removed it and haven't looked back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts