SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over on the Facebook page of one of the Volvo XC90 groups, someone had the fuel nozzle stuck in the capless fuel tank that I believe the new XC90 uses. Further googling shows this could be a real problem as it is not easy to remove the nozzle once it gets stuck. Anyone encounter this or knows of an easy way to remove the nozzle if this happens? Here is a video showing how to remove a stick nozzle, but it looks like a pain....
http://youtu.be/gKwYmOynsdg

·
Registered
2021 Volvo XC40 P8 Recharge in Sage Green!
73 Posts
Over on the Facebook page of one of the Volvo XC90 groups, someone had the fuel nozzle stuck in the capless fuel tank that I believe the new XC90 uses. Further googling shows this could be a real problem as it is not easy to remove the nozzle once it gets stuck. Anyone encounter this or knows of an easy way to remove the nozzle if this happens? Here is a video showing how to remove a stick nozzle, but it looks like a pain....
http://youtu.be/gKwYmOynsdg
I know the capless fueling is new to Volvo, but I've never seen one stuck before...

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
We have the capless fuel tank in our 2015 F150 & didn't have any problems in the last 7 months.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have it on my 2013 Lincoln. Very handy. I get frustrated playing with the cap on my wife 2015.5 XC60. If my XC90 come with capless fueling, I will be very tickled.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ford has had them for a while now. If you google cap less fuel tank with nozzles getting stuck, there are quite a few people that has had this happen. It even made the news at some point. From what I read, if the fueling nozzle has a tip on it and that becomes loose and creates a gap, that would cause the nozzle to get stuck. See page 4 of this PDF...

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=186074. It tells you which nozzles can get stuck.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Ford has had them for a while now. If you google cap less fuel tank with nozzles getting stuck, there are quite a few people that has had this happen. It even made the news at some point. From what I read, if the fueling nozzle has a tip on it and that becomes loose and creates a gap, that would cause the nozzle to get stuck. See page 4 of this PDF...

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=186074. It tells you which nozzles can get stuck.
So it's the fuel nozzle design that's faulty, hopefully they change the design & no more problems!

·
Registered
278 Posts
So it's the fuel nozzle design that's faulty, hopefully they change the design & no more problems!
Didn't the nozzle design precede the cap less fuel tank? If so, I would think the automobile industry would've designed their cap less tank based specs of existing nozzles.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Didn't the nozzle design precede the cap less fuel tank? If so, I would think automobile industry would've designed their cap less tank to based on existing nozzles.
True but with more cars having capless fuel tanks, the industry will have to change the nozzle design I guess.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah. It's a faulty fuel pump nozzle for sure. But I'm taking this as a PSA and am going to check the nozzles now... Even at full serve stations. People who have had this happen to them could not remove the fuel nozzle and had to detach it and go to a dealer to remove... At the cost of the car owner!

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
I know the capless fueling is new to Volvo, but I've never seen one stuck before...
All European Volvos have had them for a couple of years now. I did not have any issues when I had an XC90...

·
Registered
206 Posts
I fail to see any benefit in a cap less fuel filler. On the contrary I think it greatly increases the chance of getting all sorts of contaminants into the fuel supply. [Water, dirt, insects] I realize that the 'cover' has a seal, but don't trust that it will be 100% effective in the long run. I prefer a gas cap, it has worked for over 100 years thank you very much.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I fail to see any benefit in a cap less fuel filler. On the contrary I think it greatly increases the chance of getting all sorts of contaminants into the fuel supply. [Water, dirt, insects] I realize that the 'cover' has a seal, but don't trust that it will be 100% effective in the long run. I prefer a gas cap, it has worked for over 100 years thank you very much.
This is one of those "Back to the Future" moments. My 69 1800S also has a capless tank. The design has well-known issues with getting water in the tank. However, I think the new approach, which has now been used by automakers for several years, is much better.

·
Registered
80 Posts
What do people do when it's been raining, and there's water / debris on the outer flap? I'm worried that by simply putting the nozzle in, the rubbish will get into the tank. Is there any logic to this?

Also, where can I find the fuel funnel that is supposed to come with the car, to use in case of filling up from a jerry can?

·
Registered
161 Posts
What do people do when it's been raining, and there's water / debris on the outer flap? I'm worried that by simply putting the nozzle in, the rubbish will get into the tank. Is there any logic to this?

Also, where can I find the fuel funnel that is supposed to come with the car, to use in case of filling up from a jerry can?
Unless you did not close the door, I am not sure how rain and debris would bet on the outer flap. It's just not very likely.
Funnel should be back where the spare tire is, I think.

·
Registered
850 Posts
This is a complete non-problem-- don't worry about it. No one has had any problems here. This thread was by people who were worried about a third-hand rumor.

The funnel is very small so you might miss it, but it is with your spare.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts

You do realize the fuel system is pressurized right?

I'm not 100% sure of every part Volvo uses but the basic design is that the internal fill pipe closes for you and the system is pressurized. You're not getting water into the system.

My wife's only issue on her 2010 Ford was when it would not open the internal piece to allow the fuel pump nozzle to be inserted.

The fix was to go into the gas station and buy a funnel to coax the internal gate open. She now carries that but has never needed it since.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Unless you did not close the door, I am not sure how rain and debris would bet on the outer flap. It's just not very likely.
Funnel should be back where the spare tire is, I think.
In my car the fuel door flap is not sealed, so rain will just run into it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts