SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I can't separate my fuel rail from the intake manifold.

First time posting here. I am working on my '04 non-turbo v70. Long story short I am trying to remove the intake manifold to get to PCV system. I am following these instructions: http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=373460. Also, I attached a pic with where I am at now.

My problem is that I cannot remove the fuel rail. In the picture below I removed the two hex bolts (ORANGE), disconnected the injector plugs (YELLOW), de-pressurized the fuel line, and disconnected the pressure sensor from the rail.

I have been fighting with the 'quick disconnect' where the fuel line hooks into the rail (RED) for about an hour, without getting anywhere. I have made sure to be gentle as I don't want to bugger up the injectors. I push the two green 'buttons' on the quick disconnect and have tried to pull out the fuel line as well as wiggle the rail, but no luck. I have verified that all bolts, etc. have been removed -- the only things connecting the fuel rail to anything are the injectors themselves and the fuel line. The injectors move slightly, but the fuel line is not budging.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Start from one side of the rail and work your way over to the other. Pop the rail first and then depress the quick release to remove the fuel line. Just did my VR a couple weeks ago and getting the rail popped off of the manifold makes getting that line off much easier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Start from one side of the rail and work your way over to the other. Pop the rail first and then depress the quick release to remove the fuel line. Just did my VR a couple weeks ago and getting the rail popped off of the manifold makes getting that line off much easier.
Thanks! So I just wanted to make sure I understand what your saying before I start pulling on stuff again - basically start pulling the injectors out of the manifold, then remove the fuel line?

I will go ahead and try it, but my concern is that the fuel line is steel (not hose)... So before when I was trying to remove the injectors, the fuel line didn't provide enough give to pop out the injectors.

Do I need to pull pretty hard on this thing? I'm fairly worried about screwing up the injectors.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So I am still not getting anywhere... I'm wondering if I should disassemble the fuel rail while attached to the manifold?

Ie take off the three black screws on the rail that look like this:

Maybe then I could deal with the fuel line and injectors individually?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
You don't have to do that, and I don't really think it's possible.

Pry against the fuel rail with a pry bar working from one side to the other. Don't be afraid, the injectors will release from the intake manifold. The injectors do not need to come out of the fuel rail.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
I was going to post this vid a while ago, but thought it wasn't worth it. My XC has a different fuel line connector but everything else should be the same.

Unsure about the "quick connect" but you won't damage the injectors. May want to replace the O-rings and pintle caps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts