SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Can't open trunk -- HELP!

11K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  abcdefghii 
#1 ·
Got my car back from the dealer today and went grocery shopping. Filled the trunk with groceries and when I got home I can't open the trunk. Neither the release on the dash, the release on the trunk lid, or the key fob will open it. It's making the normal sound when the electric lock releases, but nothing happens. I have locked and unlocked and relocked the doors, turned the engine on and off, and everything else I can think of and nothing makes any difference.

Every other car I've had with electronic locks had a function whereby you can use the auxiliary metal key to open the trunk when the electronic lock fails. Is it really possible that the Volvo lacks this feature??

2016 S60 with 22,000 miles in case that's relevant. Help would be appreciated because my groceries are spoiling :mad:

PS: I also tried activating and de-activating the valet feature in case that might help. It didn't.

#2 ·
Is there a release in the trunk? Fold seats down and look in

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

#3 · (Edited)
Check your manual. There is access near the tag lights to insert a key and unlatch the trunk.

Edit: I think, unless I'm confusing with the doors.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk

#5 · (Edited)
Check your manual. There is access near the tag lights to insert a key and unlatch the trunk.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk
Yeah that's what I thought but the manual has no such indication, and everything I see online in that regard pertains to older models. ETA: Attached is a pic I just took of the panel. What am I missing? The two rubber electronic switch pads are to unlock and to lock the system. The 'lock' button is working normally.

Bumper Electronics Vehicle Automotive exterior Car

#11 ·
I must be missing something but - if you picked up your car at the dealer and went shopping and then couldn't open the trunk once it was closed - why didn't you just go to the dealer and have them open it and answer all your questions? And the car is still under warranty? - no?
Here's what you are missing:
The OPs first post was at 10:20 p.m.
Let's say he was fiddling with it for an hour or so before posting. This means he got home at 9:00 p.m. Dealer was closed.
Besides, who know how far the dealer is from home.

#13 ·
I'm glad you got it open. I believe the pre-face lift cars have a key access next to the licence plate lights. It is covered by a rubber grommet, but has a key symbol on it. The post-face lift cars just have a blank. Since this is a 2016, he only has the blank.

I only know this as I was at a pick a part lot and there was a 2013 S60 in there and I grabbed the license plate light and trunk release button from the car and noticed it had this rubber grommet. My 2015.5 doesn't have it.

#15 ·
Got my car back from the dealer today and went grocery shopping. Filled the trunk with groceries and when I got home I can't open the trunk. Neither the release on the dash, the release on the trunk lid, or the key fob will open it. It's making the normal sound when the electric lock releases, but nothing happens. I have locked and unlocked and relocked the doors, turned the engine on and off, and everything else I can think of and nothing makes any difference.

Every other car I've had with electronic locks had a function whereby you can use the auxiliary metal key to open the trunk when the electronic lock fails. Is it really possible that the Volvo lacks this feature??

2016 S60 with 22,000 miles in case that's relevant. Help would be appreciated because my groceries are spoiling :mad:

PS: I also tried activating and de-activating the valet feature in case that might help. It didn't.
Did you use the valet lock? If so then you can't open the trunk as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#17 ·
Curious, what is the "valet lock"?

Thanks

#16 ·
I had a similar problem with my 2012 V60. Turns out it was a loose wire at the handle. There is a manual release catch where you can release the boot with a small screwdriver.
But here lies another problem. Volvo put a plastic cover over where the slot is to release it. I have now ditched the cover incase I get problems again. Hopefully you can get into the boot to be able to release it.

#18 ·
When you lock the glove box with the metal key it disables access to the trunk via the button or the remote, so if you are valet parking you hand them the remote fob without the metal key and can relax safe in the knowledge that the parking valets cannot get to anything you left in the glovebox or trunk

#23 · (Edited)
There should also be a fuse for the trunk latch or lock. According to a a quick search, it’s labelled “trunk open” on the S60. I would check if it is blown. Fuse box “B” engine compartment front, #11.

#24 ·
I know this is a little late at this point, but for what it's worth, soon after I got my 2017 in September 2016, I had a similar problem where my trunk wouldn't release. It tuned out to be the trunk cable, and the dealership had to shorten the cable. If your car is approaching the end of the warranty, I'd have them look at it so that you don't have to pay for it later or have it get stuck again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.