SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Croo:<br> I came home from work and when I shut off my V50's engine, the key won't go all the way to position 0. It stops about halfway between 0 and 1. Therefore I can't get the key out of the ignition. (Yes the transmission is in park.)<br> Last night the alarm went off with the car in the garage. And it wasn't locked so the alarm wasn't armed. So some computer bit seems to have gone off the deep end.<br> Interestingly enough the instrument panel lights won't shut off. No lights are on outside the car. Called the dealership and they're going to have a looksee Monday afternoon.So I yanked off the battery terminals so I will be able to start the car tomorrow.<br> Trouble is I can't really go anywhere because I'm not too keen to leave the keys in the ignition. I suppose I could bring along my 10mm wrench and disconnect the battery; that would slow down a casual car thief.<br> Or else I guess I could bring one of my kids along to sit in the car while I do errands.<br> Anybody out there have any other ideas of something I could try?<br>Woody

·
Registered
153 Posts
Re: Can't get the ignition key out of 2005 V50 (Woody)

as crazy as this may seem, I had the same problem every now and then and the ONLY solution that worked and prevented me from calling RoadSide was to pop the hood. When i brough the issue to the attention of my service adivsor he blamed my boost gauge and hard wired V1. Just what worked for me, hope it helps.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Re: Can't get the ignition key out of 2005 V50 (Woody)

I'm afraid I'm headed for this problem one day soon. My ignition has developed a definite "hitch" between 0 and 1, and the key travel often stops there when I'm turning off the car. It's easy to move it all the way to 0, but based on your experience I'm wondering if one day it's just going to stop at "1/2" and I'll be stuck.

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
Re: Can't get the ignition key out of 2005 V50 (NYCS40)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>NYCS40</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">as crazy as this may seem, I had the same problem every now and then and the ONLY solution that worked and prevented me from calling RoadSide was to pop the hood. When i brough the issue to the attention of my service adivsor he blamed my boost gauge and hard wired V1. Just what worked for me, hope it helps.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>You're definitely on to something there - for a short period of time I had an issue where turning the key had no effect (as if the battery was flat). No matter how long I waited it would not fix itself. Every time I popped the hood to check the battery connection it would fix itself.<p>There must be some kind of reset mechanism although I can find no documentation of any switch or sensor.<p>UKMatt

·
Registered
343 Posts
Re: Can't get the ignition key out of 2005 V50 (ukmatt)

you could bring a jack stand and remove a wheel , place the wheel in the trunk . while still not 100 % thief proof and definately not exactly convienent if you run several stops a day. I'm sure most thieves would rather steal Volvos w/o having to put a wheel on first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts