SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 05 gt and whenever I press the throttle or let off fast I hear a clunk in my drive train and can't figure out where it is. It happend at low speed alot.

I do need to replace the angle gear sleeve but it was doing it when I got a new one put it a couple of years ago. I do know that some of the hadlex unit clunk.

But this sounds like something worn out and lose like a bushing but can't find it.

Has anyone ever seen or heard of this?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I replaced the axle bolt with the x90 bolt and used red loctite. I replaced both front cv axle a couple years ago do to the front passenger one failing. I also can hear it when shifting from park to reverse. I will take a video of the sound tonight.

I did notice when I worked on my hadlex unit year ago that my prop shaft u-joints at the end where the haldex unit is had some wear. But those u-joint cant be replaced right?

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did that one too. with the ipd version and upper engine mount too. Thats why I been pulling my hair out trying to find where the sound coming from

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
Any sense if it is coming from under the hood or underneath/behind you when driving? Can the clunk be felt or just heard?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
anything is possible. I can feel it and hear it. It's a very faint feel but I'm use to riding sportbike and have become very aware of sounds and feel.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm just hope it a bushing not something bad. But it seems like everything I work of is bad. I have not got to have fun and do many upgrades to the car. Just been fixing what needs to bring it to a stage 0 again

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?219446-Clunk-from-transmission-noticed-when-stopping

I have the almost same thing. Videos in post above shifting between P and R. I mostly notice it when coming to a stop, I get the light clunk immediately before the car makes a complete stop. Additionally, there is no clunk if I put the car in N when coasting to a stop. It has not gotten worse, I also don't have it when letting off/getting on the throttle as you mentioned but our situations seem related.

·
2,521 Posts
Ive gotten something like this after I got my tune, we raised the idle to 850 so there is more power pushing against the trans and whatnot. Happens when I stop and go

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?219446-Clunk-from-transmission-noticed-when-stopping

I have the almost same thing. Videos in post above shifting between P and R. I mostly notice it when coming to a stop, I get the light clunk immediately before the car makes a complete stop. Additionally, there is no clunk if I put the car in N when coasting to a stop. It has not gotten worse, I also don't have it when letting off/getting on the throttle as you mentioned but our situations seem related.
i have your exact symptoms aswell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
To be sure you should really try to find the location of the clunk. Do you have a bold friend who can observe the engine compartment and other various location while you reproduce the issue?

·
Registered
675 Posts
I had that and it ended up being my spring seat on the passenger side. Replaced both sides and the bearing plate when I was in there

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
If you have the XC90 bolts already, I would seriously consider looking at your upper torque mount, and lower transmission torque mount.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Well here is another related forum thread.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?225207-Letting-out-on-clutch-thunk

But in this case, it is on a manual. Anyways, I am having the same issue and noticed that my transmission torque mount bushing, the small one, was pretty much shot while I was doing an oil change last week. I just receive a package from IPD including the big torque mount busing, the small small torque mount busing insert as well as the upper engine stabilizer inserts. BTW, I replaced the upper bracket/bushing with a stock unit about 30K miles ago and it is already shot.

I plan on replacing the bushings over the weekend. I will keep you posted whether this cures the issue or not.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts