SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What am I doing wrong? I'm trying to load the new (September) North America maps update into our 2018 V90 T6 AWD, with no success.

The car had all necessary system software updates done during routine servicing in July. I am using a 64Gb Sandisk thumb drive, which I erased and formatted properly according to Volvo's website directions.

Went to the supportvolvo site and downloaded the maps to the thumb drive. It took two+ hours, and the map files are indeed on the drive. I can see them when I open it.

Plugged the drive into the white-outlined USB socket in the center console, which is supposed to bring up a menu of some sort on the center screen when Sensus recognizes the presence of the drive, but no such thing happens. The center screen displays nothing unusual.

The car tells me that "[map] updates are available," which it has been doing ever since the most recent update became available, but all but a few of the files are too large to download wirelessly, the system tells me.

Have I forked up somewhere along the way?

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Did you inadvertently download the wrong format - like Microsoft exe’s from a Mac or vice versatile?

I know of at least one person who did that.

Another possibility is did you download the maps from another version of Sensus maps. SPA and CMA owners must download from the 2016 Sensus Maps - not the two other earlier versions.

Hope you get it resolved. Not likely that [messed] something up. Just hopefully a minor user error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
Try formatting your thumb drive and copying all downloaded files again to the drive. Also, make sure you "Remove Hardware Safely" and eject your thumb drive safely before removing it from your computer. Even turning off your computer and then removing the thumb drive doesn't work. You "HAVE" to remove it safely.

I learned it the hard way last time. I was successful in my 5th attempt finally after realizing this.

This might not solve your issue but it's worth a try.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Try formatting your thumb drive and copying all downloaded files again to the drive. Also, make sure you "Remove Hardware Safely" and eject your thumb drive safely before removing it from your computer. Even turning off your computer and then removing the thumb drive doesn't work. You "HAVE" to remove it safely.

I learned it the hard way last time. I was successful in my 5th attempt finally after realizing this.

This might not solve your issue but it's worth a try.
I did this update for maps and voice command last week.
I downloaded the maps first. Did not "remove hardware safely" and then downloaded to car. Took about 25 min. without problems.
Next, formatted thumb drive to remove data, loaded voice command update and did not "remove hardware safely" and then downloaded to car. Took about 20 min.
Every went smoothly without problems.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
I did this update for maps and voice command last week.
I downloaded the maps first. Did not "remove hardware safely" and then downloaded to car. Took about 25 min. without problems.
Next, formatted thumb drive to remove data, loaded voice command update and did not "remove hardware safely" and then downloaded to car. Took about 20 min.
Every went smoothly without problems.
My previous Map install (I think 1270 or 1263) failed at 99% the four times I tried it. I formatted the thumb drive, re-copy the files, removed the drive safely and then installed it successfully the fifth time. As said earlier, the "remove hardware safely" might not be a definite (or even the correct) fix but worth the try.

·
Registered
860 Posts
My previous Map install (I think 1270 or 1263) failed at 99% the four times I tried it. I formatted the thumb drive, re-copy the files, removed the drive safely and then installed it successfully the fifth time. As said earlier, the "remove hardware safely" might not be a definite (or even the correct) fix but worth the try.
:thumbup:
Funny, when I downloaded the maps it went to 100% and then said to leave the thumb drive connected and turn off the car. ( I never turned it on thru the whole procedure). I waited, nothing happened, got out of the car and came back maybe 10 min. later, Sensus came on when I opened the door, rebooted and said down load was complete.
The voice command download took almost 10 min. before it even started to go above 0%.

·
Registered
37 Posts
What are the “necessary system software updates” that you had done during the routine service in July? Just took my 2018 V90CC in for routine 20k service and was told by Secor Volvo dealer in Connecticut that Volvo no longer provides software updates at routine servicing - all they did was an oil change and a safety inspection!

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
What are the “necessary system software updates” that you had done during the routine service in July? Just took my 2018 V90CC in for routine 20k service and was told by Secor Volvo dealer in Connecticut that Volvo no longer provides software updates at routine servicing - all they did was an oil change and a safety inspection!
Yeah. What they meant was Volvo has stopped paying them to install the software updates, so they will not provide it free of charge. Drive back and complain about your Sensus screen going blank and restarting at random times. That will force them to update your software to the latest and greatest under warranty and they get paid by Volvo for doing warranty work.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Volvo has stopped paying them to install the software updates
Well, Hudson Valley Volvo (Wappingers, NY) installed the updates free in mid-July for me. I had specified on my service-instructions sheet "please install all necessary system updates." They did so and even apologized that it took about an hour. (And, by the way, there was nothing wrong with my system--never has been, no frozen screens, etc.)

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
Well, Hudson Valley Volvo (Wappingers, NY) installed the updates free in mid-July for me. I had specified on my service-instructions sheet "please install all necessary system updates." They did so and even apologized that it took about an hour. (And, by the way, there was nothing wrong with my system--never has been, no frozen screens, etc.)
Yes. Exactly the same with me. For my recent 40k mile service, in my Job sheet, Job #4 is the "COMPLIMENTARY VOLVO 2.0 SOFTWARE UPDATE VALUED AT $155.00" line and they charged me $0.00 for it.

I mentioned the "Sensus freezing" solution for people whose dealerships do not offer the free update and need to have a warranty-able reason to do the update.

Also, tagged along with it was a complimentary tire rotation (valued at $29.95).

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
complimentary tire rotation
I don't rotate tires. When they're on a wheel and they're balanced and run in and happy where they are, leave 'em alone. This business of "tire rotation" is an ancient shibboleth that dates back to the days of cars with 70/30 weight distribution. In fact I've had Porsches*where tire rotation was impossible--directional treads on each side and different-size tires front and rear. Didn't seem to bother them.

Am I buying a new set of tires when the rears may have had a millimeter less tread wear than the front? Maybe. So sue me.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
I don't rotate tires. When they're on a wheel and they're balanced and run in and happy where they are, leave 'em alone. This business of "tire rotation" is an ancient shibboleth that dates back to the days of cars with 70/30 weight distribution. In fact I've had Porsches*where tire rotation was impossible--directional treads on each side and different-size tires front and rear. Didn't seem to bother them.

Am I buying a new set of tires when the rears may have had a millimeter less tread wear than the front? Maybe. So sue me.
My Dealer does a Front-Back switch rather than a "rotate". Being FWD biased, before the switch, my front tires were 7/32" while the rears were 8/32". He switches them out for me every 10k miles so I maintain almost equal wear on all fours.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts

My Dealer does a Front-Back switch rather than a "rotate". Being FWD biased, before the switch, my front tires were 7/32" while the rears were 8/32". He switches them out for me every 10k miles so I maintain almost equal wear on all fours.
Yep, that's what I recommend for maximum tire life.

·
Registered
860 Posts
:thumbup: I rotate F-B myself. (best for even wear) By doing it myself I also inspect brake and suspension components. Has saved a few oh sh*t moments.:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts