SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i cant decide which one to go for..R-design or inscription? i know the color will be onyx black with b&W, conve and vision. not sure if i will like the seat in r design. not sure how luxurious the interior will be in r design compare to inscription.

·
Registered
298 Posts
i cant decide which one to go for..R-design or inscription? i know the color will be onyx black with b&W, conve and vision. not sure if i will like the seat in r design. not sure how luxurious the interior will be in r design compare to inscription.
The seats is one reason we went with the Inscription. Having had several BMW's with the extra bolstering, added to the extra height of the XC90, sometimes it takes a little extra to get over the bolsters. Add that to it will primarily be the wifemobile, and we went with the Inscription.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
The seats is one reason we went with the Inscription. Having had several BMW's with the extra bolstering, added to the extra height of the XC90, sometimes it takes a little extra to get over the bolsters.
I thought the R-Design seats have more bolstering/support lol Would be nice to see them side by side.

I personally love the more sporty look of the R-Design & no chrome accents. Just like with the X5, some like the M Sport more & others like the X/Luxury Line :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its really hard for me to decide..since i have not seen r design in person..i am not sure how nubuck leather going to be

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I thought the R-Design seats have more bolstering/support lol Would be nice to see them side by side.

I personally love the more sporty look of the R-Design & no chrome accents. Just like with the X5, some like the M Sport more & others like the X/Luxury Line :)
Im not sure but I think the inscription seats have the same bolstering and support as the Rdesign but just not nubuck which keeps you from sliding. But inscription has the softer and fully perforated leather. I really love the inscription seats but to be honest my ideal build would be a M+ with those seats.

I know no one likes to talk about it but the Rdesign is entirely cosmetic differences, there is no performance benefit whatsoever. To me that was a major turnoff, mainly the psychology of it. Feels like wearing spandex racing gear to ride a touring bicycle.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I know no one likes to talk about it but the Rdesign is entirely cosmetic differences, there is no performance benefit whatsoever. To me that was a major turnoff, mainly the psychology of it. Feels like wearing spandex racing gear to ride a touring bicycle.
We really liked magic blue, but the idea of getting a sporty facade with no performance upgrades seemed like putting a spoiler on a Honda Civic. We went with the inscription.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
For the record, I'm a fan of even 'poser pack' performance models, theres just gotta be something additional performance wise. I think with P* in-house the next gen R design will have some real upgrades.

·
Registered
54 Posts
R design has the least amount of chrome (still too much), a better steering wheel (that should be heated) and doesn't have the goofy raised roof rails of the Momentum. I prefer it precisely because of the cosmetic differences. It's not as though it's ostentatiously sporty or something. It's just less Buick-y than the other options.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
R design has the least amount of chrome (still too much), a better steering wheel (that should be heated) and doesn't have the goofy raised roof rails of the Momentum. I prefer it precisely because of the cosmetic differences. It's not as though it's ostentatiously sporty or something. It's just less Buick-y than the other options.
Exactly.

It's the same as I mentioned with BMW x5 M Sport, doesn't give you more HP just different look. I'm surprised people assume R-Design will automatically have more HP, maybe it does on other models in the past but still it's nicer sporty look IMO! It's no poser or anything it's just a different trim all manufacturer's do that :facepalm:

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
That's a good point. I prefer the raised roof rails honestly but yeah less chrome is a nice bonus. The seats and inlays are a little faux sporty to me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Exactly.

It's the same as I mentioned with BMW x5 M Sport, doesn't give you more HP just different look. I'm surprised people assume R-Design will automatically have more HP, maybe it does on other models in the past but still it's nicer sporty look IMO! It's no poser or anything it's just a different trim all manufacturer's do that :facepalm:
Exactly. In fact I wish it had real sport seats like the M sport ( i have an x3) and shadow line trim.

That's a good point. I prefer the raised roof rails honestly but yeah less chrome is a nice bonus. The seats and inlays are a little faux sporty to me.
The seats are disappointing. Nobody is ever going to accelerate or corner hard enough in a 5000lb Volvo SUV to need their butts gripped by nubuck. And it's unfortunate that Volvo only offer the one interior color and nothing but chintzy metal inlays. Brutus99 and I both posted in another thread that the R Design would be perfect if they put in ventilated sport seats, heated the steering wheel, gave you the same interior color and inlay options of the inscription and use a shadow line trim around the windows instead of the chrome. More or less an R design with an inscription interior.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Don't be fooled Gc52 the seats are not unbuck leather but a man made substitute. Bit of a con calling it nubuck so I went with the inscription

·
Registered
487 Posts
I chose the R for similar reasons (+ both sets of the wheels are sharp + I much prefer the grill and front end). Additionally, if I had an Amber interior I can guarantee that my kids and their friends would climb a pine tree the day I brought it home and jump all over the Amber leather then throw up on it. At least with Charcoal I will be able to hide some of the stains and pine tar. I'm not even sure what performance people were expecting? The R never made any claims around better performance, at least none that I saw. Given it is a 7 seat SUV, I'm not sure how many people want to drag race their neighbors to the school drop-off zone with the kids in the back, then drift into their office parking space in an SUV? I'll reserve that for the Blacked out Bimmer M dudes who don't have any kids, and therefore are not on this forum or shopping SUV's in the first place. Bottom line for me was that the subjective look of the R-Design was much more my style than the blonde, amber and chromed-out versions I saw. Nothing against others choices - it is again completely subjective. On Friday I will take delivery of the first car I have ever ordered sight unseen, so I'll have real world driving after that. I sat in my first R Design yesterday.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Ooh, how were the seats? I don't think any R Designs have made it this far west yet. Looking forward to seeing one in person.
This is entirely subjective, but if you want the bolstered feel (for lack of a better description) and you like to be fully supported "in" the seat (as opposed to sitting on top of it), then you will probably like these seats. It's personal preference and impossible to say really.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Call me goofy........I prefer the raised roof rails!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts