SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone has any pictures of a black 2001 2.4T I'd love to see them. I can't decide on the 17" wheel upgrade or the 6.5x16's that come standard on the 2.4T. The new car is for my wife, so I'm not too concerned about the improved performance of the 17" upgrade. I'm more concerned about what looks the best.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Ken,

The 17-inch Tethys wheels for the S60 look great considering they are only a $500 option. I think for looks, they are a must-have option. If you look into the aftermarket, wheels can get extremely expensive.

-Drew

·
Registered
128 Posts
If you're going strictly for aesthetics (and you state that you are) I think the people that feel that a smaller wheel looks better will be few and far between.

Without a doubt most people that are upgrading the wheels on their car, whether it be for performance or aesthetics go to a "plus" size. Now of course if we're speaking of design and patterns, that's an individual preference and maybe you like the "design" of the 16" rather then the 17", that's up to you.

I have the 17's and they look great! But as a previous post mentioned, they are hard to keep clean.

Good luck! With the two options before you, you can't make a bad choice

[This message has been edited by ch7656 (edited 03-30-2001).]

·
Registered
23 Posts
My salesperson called me about a week ago and said that the T5 had a new option to install 17" Almathea wheels. These are the same ones that can be found on the V70.

They look sort of like the Mimas but are 17" and have hollowed out spokes.

A happy medium between the looks of the Mimas, the performance and aesthetics of 17" wheels, and easier cleaning of wide spokes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
IMHO, the 17" Tethys wheels look too busy. I really like my Mimas. I don't think wheels should scream "Look at me! ME!" and detract from the overall appearance of the entire car. Wheels should complement the car's styling, not dominate it. Having overdone wheels is somewhat like adorning a well-tailored suit with some loud, garish tie.

The Almatheas sound like an interesting alternative, if I had the decision to make again and had that option.

HW

·
Registered
23 Posts
The 17" wheels I chose were the Almathea...I was able to change my order three days before it was manufactured.

The decision was based on ease of cleaning, having a different wheel than everyone else, and my wife.

The car is supposed to be delivered end of April

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
The Puff,

If you get a chance, please post pictures of your new S60 T5 when it arrives. It would be nice to see pictures of an S60 with Almathea rims on it. I have yet to see an S60 with them on. Thanks!

-Drew

·
Registered
54 Posts
If I was buying a 2.4T --I would not opt for
17' tethys. You don't need that kind of performance tire. The 2.4T, a great choice,
just happens to fit best with stock 16's
and of course with your choice of looks.
If I'm getting this car, I do not need to
over do things---you may not agree. Just my
$0.02. Do your thing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey---I'm adding to my previous post after
noticing some missed comments. I have 17"
tethys on my T5. I am aware of some controversy regarding their looks. I per-
sonally have not decided if I like them well enough to keep them (forever)---funny, but
occassionally when I glance at the rear
quarter of the car and see the tethys-- they
sometimes remind me of 'covered wagon'(ie
'old West') wheels---as if for a second--
there are too many spokes. I do not get this
reaction with front look. Just an opinion.
But I may change mine out at some point as
options become available. Feedback welcome.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I too, found the Tethys to be a ltiile "busy" and more fitting on a car like a Buick, Cadillac, or Oldsmobile.

It seems like most of the sporty cars have mag wheels with five or seven spokes which appear tougher and/or more aggressive than a seventeen spoke wheel.

That is why I am glad the Almathea became avaialable for the T5.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sorry guys, but I have to disagree. I ordered my T5 with the Tethys wheels and I think they look great (classy). The only drawback to me is the difficulty to clean.

Actually I think most of the current Volvo wheels look pretty good, with the possible exception of the Metis, and (speaking of busy) the Arrakis wheels on the S80.

To each their own!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts