SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't really want the running boards but we have 2 small kids (ages 1 and 4) who we'd like to be able to climb into the car by themselves. I don't want air suspension so lowering for them isn't an option.

For those who have running boards, do you find them useful for the kids? Any other reasons to get them, or not?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I don't really want the running boards but we have 2 small kids (ages 1 and 4) who we'd like to be able to climb into the car by themselves. I don't want air suspension so lowering for them isn't an option.

For those who have running boards, do you find them useful for the kids? Any other reasons to get them, or not?
Been a while since they've come up - but I recall most owners ended up regretting them. Great visual appeal but very limited usability. Let's see if anyone chimes in.

·
Registered
702 Posts
The XC90s I test drove had them, and I hated them. I was constantly bumping/rubbing my leg on them when exiting the vehicle. I'm sure it is something you'd get used to, but I found them too narrow to be useful but wide enough to be annoying. My 5 and 2 year old can climb up into the XC90. The 2.5 year old was motivated to keep up with his big sister.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
The one year old probably needs someone to help get on and into car seat and buckle up anyway.
Running board does not help much.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Are the running boards wide enough to protect the xc90 side doors from denting should a thoughtless
Driver parked adjacently throw open his door?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Are the running boards wide enough to protect the xc90 side doors from denting should a thoughtless
Driver parked adjacently throw open his door?
Oh, this is a good question. Hadn't thought of this aspect.

I don't currently have the running boards. Does anyone know if they can be added by the dealer after the fact? I would assume so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
673 Posts
Most people don't seem to like them. You're probably better off spending that money on something else.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I love mine, the kids use it all the time. For me, I just side step them, if you are average adult height they are not very practical for entering/exiting the car. Also very useful for loading my cargo box as well as washing the car (warm weather).
And yes, they stick out enough to protect your car from most dings.
Oh, they look amazing day and night.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I can see how they would be intrusive to getting an adult's leg closer to the door opening while getting in/out. I do cringe, though, how my kids step on the lit stainless steel door sill every time they get in. For them, that's easier to use than trying to step over it when hoisting themselves up. This seems like where the running boards would be useful. Along with loading up a cargo box, as stated above.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts

I purchased the running boards and had them removed after 3 weeks. I can't speak to the utility with kids, but they were a real PITA in getting in and out. My wife, who is petite, refused to drive the car. I recommend passing. They look good, but don't act as real running boards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Did they charge you for the original sill plates during removal?

I purchased the running boards and had them removed after 3 weeks. I can't speak to the utility with kids, but they were a real PITA in getting in and out. My wife, who is petite, refused to drive the car. I recommend passing. They look good, but don't act as real running boards.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
No. We were able to get original parts from the port where the running boards are installed sent to the dealer. I gave the dealer the running boards for doing the swap at no charge. VCNA and the dealer were very accommodating.

·
Registered
348 Posts

BIG NO!
Hate my running boards.... they look sorta cool but as a practical addition(which is why I got them in the first place - to avoid sliding in and out on the edge of the leather seat, making it shiny) they are useless AND furthermore will mess up your trousers when exiting as there is NO way you can position your feet on the board and you will end up having to step over.

·
Registered
138 Posts
This is what I was going to say...especially since they won't be able to open the doors on their own to begin with.
All due respect, I think these comments are a little too dismissive of the OP of this comment's point. I have small kids too, so I can relate. The 1 year old is going to grow into a 4-6 year old, and the OP is likely looking ahead to those years. It's still a valid concern if the OP is going to keep the vehicle for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'd agree with the lack of practicality. They look very nice, though, and I feel it gives the XC90 a more defined appearance. I avoid stepping on them, and my 3-year-old son would just step on the sill if the running board wasn't there. Definitely not worth the $1600 or so.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The running boards are at the SAME HEIGHT as the door sill, so they offer no benefit for climbing up,-into- the car. They are also very narrow so the only way you could possibly step ON THEM would be if you placed your foot parallel to the running board.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts