SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned my car for a while now. It was well maintained with records when I got it, and only needed some small things (headlight lense cracked, due for a stage0). It's a '98 V70t5M in 472 Grey. Southern car, garage kept, has seen one winter (last year) in it's whole life.

But, I drive a LOT. 140 mile a day commute, and family lives several hours away. She's bumping up on 250k miles now. So far, she's been dead reliable. However, she's going to need some service here soon, and I'm really starting to wonder about the true condition of the engine. Comp and leakdown are good, but come on, 245k miles, and climbing fast...

So, I started shopping around to see what I could find. NOTHING is appealing to me. I don't like automatics, it has to be comfortable, and it has to be quick. I drove my wife's GTP for a while. HATED that car!!!! Turned like a tractor trailer, and needed a manual.

Now, here's where I can't decide. The Volvo is going to need some serious attention if she's staying. I hate to say it, but with my long hours and commute, she's been getting a bit neglected. If I'm keeping her, I'm staring at about $3k in work (upgrading where able).

-A/C lost all freon one day this summer. Worked one day, then didn't. Haven't looked into this.
- Sometime in the last couple weeks the oil cooler started leaking oil into the coolant. From everything I've tested and researched, this seems to be the culprit. No coolant in crankcase, just overflow tank. Leakdown and comp test excellent. Radiator replacement needed if I'm correct. This is the reason I'm driving the GTP.
- Turned on heat for the first time this year, smelled coolant. I'm thinking it is just the o-rings, since the core was replaced right before I got the car a couple years ago. But, that needs fixed.
- Front rotors warped a little. This is a direct result of a failed wheelbearing replacement (bad part fell apart).

I just keep looking at the car and the miles on it, and the cost of repair parts, and thinking I should just get rid of it, but nothing else in my price range is any good. $4k is the budget.

Anyone else ever hit this point? I'd love to rip the car apart and build it right, but I just don't have time right now.

Arg, I'm so confused!!

Sorry for the novel, it may have been beer induced. :D

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
If you like the car, use the $4k budget for maintenance repairs. You know what you have, keep it going. With the miles you drive, just about any car you buy within your budget will start to need repairs. Do some upgrades when you are doing the maintenance and give it a little TLC. Maybe get the seats refinished if they are cracking, '04 C70 Jewel headlights to refresh the front end.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's where I keep coming back to, I just lack time. But, it would also give me the excuse to do some upgrades. I just can't find anything I like that fits what the Volvo does, and without taking out a loan (which I refuse to do), I'm at the $4k limit.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Going off your list of work, you're looking a less than $1k in parts. Nothing on that list so major I'd consider getting rid of your car instead of fixing it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's a few other things. It's due for a t-belt soon, and some other minor things. After a 45 minute chat with the wife about it tonight, I'm really leaning towards keeping it. I just can't find anything I like that fits the same use scenario, without being dreadfully boring. Besides, she gave me permission to make some upgrades so it acts like some of our other turbo cars have.

In other words, I got the rare wife-given permission for MOAH POWA!!! Hehehe....

·
Registered
475 Posts
Those Perfos look great! I love Perfos on these cars. Not as common as Pegs but they still look great.

If you want to freshen the exterior get the C70 jewels, XC grill with blue logo, titanium center caps (they'll have the matching blue logo). I know this isn't about exterior but I had to jump in.

How much work can you do yourself? That may be the answer. I vote keep it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ability-wise, I can do it all myself. Time-wise, I'm lacking, but could make it work.

Dumb question, what are C70 jewels?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
2003-2004 C70 headlights (and clear corners)

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Here's a fairly decent closeup of mine when they were brand new. They really pop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts