SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just received my XC90 T6 Inscription and can't manage to connect to the internet through my phone.

My iphone 5s connects just fine through Bluetooth. I listen to my spotify music without any trouble. As regards internet connectivity, the little globe icon on the car gets highlighted and the personal hotspot blue band shows up on my phone. However, the cars icons for updating files aren't highlighted and nothing happens when I tap them.

The "internet over Bluetooth" box is checked and I do have a phone plan that includes tethering.

After having zero success with Bluetooth, I tried connecting the phone to the internet using the car's WiFi option, but it never detected my phone, even though I had personal hotspot (wifi
+ Bluetooth) on.

Hope that someone can give me a hand with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
224 Posts
Instead of tethering from your phone, please try turning on the car's built in modem and use the included AT&T data services , go to settings, select communications, then vehicle modem Internet .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
Instead of tethering from your phone, please try turning on the car's built in modem and use the included AT&T data services , go to settings, select communications, then vehicle modem Internet .

A question would raise is how long can we use this data plan as long as your Volvo on call service ended.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Hi Jeff,

I can't use the AT&T data services option because I live in South America. My only two options are WiFi or Bluetooth...

The car doesn't even recognize the phone as a hotspot when I try to use that "personal hotspot" option.

When I use bluetooth, it connect's perfectly but simply doesn't work. I can't download apps, browse the web, etc...

My phone plan has 10gb of LTE internet a month, and right now it is almost full.

I have to be missing some detail... Hope someone can shed some light.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've just received my XC90 T6 Inscription and can't manage to connect to the internet through my phone.

My iphone 5s connects just fine through Bluetooth. I listen to my spotify music without any trouble. As regards internet connectivity, the little globe icon on the car gets highlighted and the personal hotspot blue band shows up on my phone. However, the cars icons for updating files aren't highlighted and nothing happens when I tap them.

The "internet over Bluetooth" box is checked and I do have a phone plan that includes tethering.

After having zero success with Bluetooth, I tried connecting the phone to the internet using the car's WiFi option, but it never detected my phone, even though I had personal hotspot (wifi
+ Bluetooth) on.

Hope that someone can give me a hand with this.

Same issues here with connecting to the car to my phone through bluetooth or hotspot. I have others issues with the car right now being worked on, so I figured Id get through those before I figured out how to address this.

·
Registered
215 Posts
... When I use bluetooth, it connect's perfectly but simply doesn't work. I can't download apps, browse the web, etc...
Tethering the car to a phone via bluetooth does have some details that you should be aware of.

First - when using Bluetooth in your car, you need to stop thinking of it as one connection. In the XC90, there are four potential connections between the phone and the car via Bluetooth, and you can have a "good" connection on some or all of them. If you go into the Bluetooth settings on the car and connect your phone, there are four icons that correspond to the four types of connections available.

- A "phone" icon representing the connection for the voice-calls. When this is lit, your car can use your phone to take and make phone calls.
- An "envelope" icon representing the connection for text messaging. When this is lit, your car can use the text messaging integration features with your phone.
- A "globe" icon representing the connection for internet usage. When this is lit, your car can use the phone to connect to the internet
- An "eighth notes" icon representing the connection for media. When this is lit, the audiobooks, music, etc. on your phone can play through your car's system.

The point is that just because you can make or receive calls to/from your phone via bluetooth is no indication that you can do anything else (including connect to the internet) via bluetooth. You have to look at the details. So the first thing to do is check those 4 icons in the bluetooth configuration screens in Sensus when the phone is connected and see which ones are actually lit.

It is VERY common on current/new-model phones to have the phone, envelope, and eighth-note icons lit but have the globe icon unlit. If this is the case, then there are at least three things that you need to check/do.

1) Make sure that the car is NOT trying to use its internal modem for internet. You can check this from the communications menu - or you can just do/re-do the next step ;-)
2) Make sure that the car is configured to use THAT SPECIFIC phone for internet. There is a check-box in the bluetooth connection configuration panel for your phone that indicates "when I connect this phone, use it for internet." If that is not checked, it really does not matter what else you do, you will get no internet connection over bluetooth.
(Note - checking this box will also fix item 1 above if it is not set correctly. You will get a warning first and be given the option to back out)
3) Bluetooth tethering has to be enabled on the phone itself. Most phones arrive with Bluetooth internet tethering disabled. Again, it really does not matter what else you do - if the phone is not permitting bluetooth internet tethering...

My wife and I have late-model Samsung phones on Verizon 4G LTE in the USA (with 40 gigs of data per month, which is effectively-unlimited for us, so tethering is a really good option). You have to go into the tethering settings on the phone and explicitly turn on the bluetooth tethering. Both the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S7 Edge work for this. Also note that on some phones (both of ours, for example) the bluetooth tethering and WiFi on the phone can't be used concurrently. You have to turn the phone WiFi off in order to turn Bluetooth tethering on. Our phones tell us as much when we try to turn on the tethering when WiFi is on. More importantly, at least on our phones, when we turn on WiFi it automatically and with no warning turns off Bluetooth tethering, and subsequently turning off the Wifi will not restore the bluetooth tethering. So in our case when we have internet troubles in the car, we immediately check the tethering setting on the phone and are able to remedy the situation easily enough.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts