SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Re: canoe on '04 V70R (therf)

if you have a roof rack with cross bars, you can put a canoe on it. I'm assuming the craft doesn't weight more than 100lbs.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts

Quote, originally posted by therf »
Any tips on putting a canoe (~ 14') on roof? I've read about those load bars, will those work?

Yes.

Have fun getting it to not blow away!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Re: (therf)

I have the Thule crossroads on my factory roof rails and run a Thule cargo box and a mountain bike rack with no problems. Plenty of room.

HOWEVER...it's noisy. i had to get a fairing, and am not 100% thrilled with the way it fits.

·
Registered
852 Posts

Volvo accessory Load Bars are made by Thule. A lot of Volvo dealers discount (such as us) and purchsed before the end of September, there are mail-in rebates from Volvo:

http://www.bostonvolvo.com/use...s.pdf

To tie the canoe securely, consider a second tow eye (that screws into your front or rear bumpers). One should already be in your tool kit.

John

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: canoe on '04 V70R (Parts @ Boston Volvo)

Thanks John. Any idea on the size of the Volvo/Thule bars?

Most of the pics I see online look to be a bit narrow. The canoe is ~ 40" at it's widest point, I'd have to look to get an idea of the width where it lines up with the roof mount points.

·
Registered
852 Posts

Quote, originally posted by therf »
Thanks John. Any idea on the size of the Volvo/Thule bars?

Most of the pics I see online look to be a bit narrow. The canoe is ~ 40" at it's widest point, I'd have to look to get an idea of the width where it lines up with the roof mount points.

The front bar is 39.25" wide. The rear bar is 38.5" wide.

John

·
Registered
4,019 Posts

Wow something I am truly qualified to comment on...

Hi Therf, I'm right around the corner from you and will be taking off tomorrow morning for the Boundary Waters for a week of canoeing & fishing.

Here is my V70 with the oe load bars (made by Thule) on it and canoe/kayak holders (from another company).

The load bars have a problem in that the towers into which the crossbars are riveted greatly limited the width. My canoe is 36" at the widest and just fits, a 40" canoe is going to be a problem; the widest part of your canoe may not be right on top of the bar but with a 14' canoe it's going to be close. My canoe (Mr Tippy) is 17'9", so the widest part is actually a foot or so away and makes a big difference.

I have seen cars where people have strapped a 2X4 to the cross bar to widen it and the tie the canoe to that. It seems to work well.

You want to center your canoe on the bars so the weight is distributed nearly evenly, increasing the overhang in the rear you will get better gas mileage.

I use ropes to tie it down in the front & rear; 2 on each end. I have pieces of heavy vinyl that I use to cushion the ropes so they don't rub on the body or bumper. I also wrap some aluminum foil around the rear tie down that is next to the muffler.

If you want to see it, I'll be in and out during the day today and home this PM, you're welcome to drop by. I should have a boat on it by the evening--if you are going to drop by, I'll wait and you can help

IM me or email me at the address in my profile.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.