SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I have a PLC (Programmable Logic Controller) system with external input output modules. the link between CPU and I/O Modules is canbus. this plc in addition to Io modules are controlling a boiler process.
I'm planning to design a PC simulator for the process that could communicate to the plc system and send/receive data from PLC. In fact, the simulator is substituted the boiler process and PLC should be able to communicate to this simulated process. I'm wondering how should i collect data from canbus and send it to PC and how should i extract data from canbus for using in my simulator?
Sincerely

·
Registered
245 Posts
It depends on what kind of software development system you are familiar with, your budget and your need for speed.

Cheap simple canbus interfaces are often using virtual COM ports for communication.

hackingvolvo.blogspot.com is using a homemade Arduino based canbus tools that can also be used with Vida for some Volvos.
It is using the same communiaction protocol between PC and canbus interface as a Lawicel CANUSB would use.
Lawicel CANUSB interface has example source code in different programming languages.

More professional software normally require much more expensive interfaces.

Volvo DiCE is a J2534 compatible interface, you can also find cheaper J2534 tools with single channel canbus.
Using J2534 standard would give you the ability to use different interfaces.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.